Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Paul Winka
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Louis, MO
Votes |
Vetting insurance of handmen & other Craiglist contractors.

Paul Winka
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Louis, MO
Posted Jul 9 2019, 14:57

I know it's a mixed bag hiring off Craigslist. Still, I am trying to hedge my bets regarding certificates of liability insurance for a more skilled but small job. I keep hearing and reading, make sure they have insurance and you're protected and be careful!!! Ok, roger, got it. A good contractor should have solid insurance anyway, so it's sort of like killing two birds with one stone by verifying their insurance.

Trouble is, I don't know how to verify appropriately other than checking the expiration dates and calling the insurance company itself. If the worst happened, I'd hate to find out I am getting sued because one checkbox on the Acord form 25 wasn't checked or if the GC canceled the insurance and I wasn't notified. What if one of the subs gets hurt and not the GC? Or there is a botched job and now it will cost more to repair than before? Do I demand that I be added as additional insured and that a new certificate be issued? These are the types of rhetorical questions I have running through my mind.

So my main question is, what is your SOP for hiring someone new regarding insurance say when I get them on the phone or they email me from my post? Seems like nearly everyone in my area (Missouri / Illinois) uses Acord. What do you look for specifically on that form? Thanks!

Loading replies...