Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Brad Holcman
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Votes |
Do you have an idea for a real estate investment television show?

Brad Holcman
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Posted Jan 1 2022, 18:19

Hello BP Family! 

My name is Brad Holcman and I've been going on a real estate investment journey most recently a graduate of the BP Real Estate Rookie Bootcamp. I'm anxious to get my feet wet!

But that's not why I'm posting. My W-2 job is a television executive at A&E. Most recently, I've had the privilege of helping lead our reboot into the home space coming on board as the Network Executive Producer on "Zombie House Flipping" and the team launching "Triple Digit Flip". We have many more coming. 

I've got questions!

1. What is missing on TV when it comes to the world we are all passionate about? What do we do right?

2. What, in your opinion, is obviously missing from the home landscape? What do you think would be great television? 

3. Do you know of anyone that has a great personality that's doing something different that would make for a great television series? 

A&E has big plans for the years to come in this space and hope to provide opportunities galore!

Brad Holcman

Account Closed
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Maplewood, NJ
Replied Jan 4 2022, 12:04

A husband and wife flipping team that are talented and real!  Chip and Joanna are gone and somebody needs to step in.  My wife and I fit the bill!!  

User Stats

Votes
Gary Nash
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake, VA
Replied Jan 4 2022, 14:45

Brad, so nice of you to tap into the egos of the masses.  

With that said, I have yet to see a show that illustrates how to make the most profit on any given deal as an investor, topics could include

• Analyzing the deal and identifying the most profitable exit strategy,
  • Creating the most profitable design drawings for the price point with tricks to adding more value, creating more space within the space together with all the nuances (Engineering, Specs, Permits) required for permits and construction.
  • Now it won't matter how much money you build on the front because the contractors will suck it all out on the backend without effective project management, for example:
  • Where to find contractors and how to solicit, cultivate, and manage. 
  • I as in the euphemistic I, could go to different cities and show viewers where to find contractors when to solicit, 
    how to solicit, what to say, not to say, how to communicate, analyze bids, how to buy out to get the best price, background check, schedule, contracts, and workarounds because life happens.

Another Idea would be on Probate when the executor finds out there is more burden than glam because of:

Fiduciary responsibility, 

Corralling family members for decisions, 

Overcoming family Emotions
Overcoming family greed
Satisfying Judges Orders 

The onslaught of Investors, realtors, lawyers

Dealing with survivors

You get it.  A whole lot of potential there.  

Not sure if I could make the cut, although would try.  I do have a partner that is the Probate Expert.

Anyway, I just thought I would throw those two out there.

Gary Nash

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jan 5 2022, 09:18

@Brad Holcman, what is missing is the reality part of reality TV.  Real world numbers would be nice.  Full disclosure, I have good friends that were just on an HGTV show.  They did state that the number were true to what was spent, but what is deceptive is that discounted and free products and labor were not included, and they were fairly significant, i.e. enough hardboard plank siding to reside an entire house.  

It would be interesting to find a couple where the wife is the contractor and the husband is the designer, just because it is different, but I understand that this relationship would not be relatable and therefore fail.

I sort of miss the Nicole Curtis show Rehab Addict where she went in depth on her renovations. I get that all these shows want the "before and after" effect in every episode, but that leaves a lot of detail glossed over.

My favorite show on now is Tarek's Flipping 101, or whatever it is called.  I like it because it actually shows that flipping is not easy, and can be very risky.  I also think that since it features non-professional flippers, the prices seem more in line with the reality I live in.

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Jewell
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied Jan 10 2022, 11:20

Great television is seeing real people STUMBLE! I'd love to see a show with newbies who are learning through trial and error. The drama of mistakes, the celebration of success. Makes for great character development and emotional investment. 

Gary is right, this is probably one of the most egotistical locations (outside of IG) to scout--we all think we fit the bill! I'll take less than Pace Morby is getting--use creative finance and get my husband and I as bargain bin TV personalities! LOL

Even if I'm not the right fit--would love to connect and chat, what an interesting career, happy to help! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 13 2022, 13:35

I think this is a fantastic question. Personally, I'm biased but I think what is missing are the dual employment flippers. What I mean is my business consists of teachers who also flip. We have a designer, real estate agent, general contractor, stager, mortgage broker, grandma and grand kids! We are a family that flips. What is unique is not only that we're teachers during the day, but we're also Black and looking to inform and uplift our community. The other unique vantage point is that the majority of us are members of the LGBT community in the hot real estate market of Dallas Texas. Did I also mention we're hilarious? Seriously, our students have begged us to record ourselves because of how funny we are but we can never find the time. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jan 13 2022, 23:24

If you would take the challenge...I would say an exposé  on gurus.....Who shows up (the guru or hired presenter) , how much money they charge, what's their history, what lies do they tell, success of their students etc.   Lots of junk out there.   Watchdog Dave Lieber in Dallas has done some stories.

Anyone fixing and flipping ranches?  That might be fun.  

Anyone fixing and flipping historic buildings?  That might be fun.

Lots of people fixing flipping apartments right now.

Celebrity flips might be fun....seems like a lot of stars are able to do some super flips and may make more money in real estate than original gig.

I like the probate suggestion above.

Gayborhood rehabs..... in many cities whole neighborhoods have been transformed.

I have a few Dallas personalities to suggest....if I can trade you for a cameo role.

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied Jan 14 2022, 04:50

Okay, this idea may sound silly, but what about a reality series of a "live-in flip." I can't tell you how many times I have laughed out loud (and cried) living in a renovation/ construction sight. You learn new things about an old house as you go...things that are NEVER shared in 30 minutes of an HGTV series. I also think one of the biggest criticisms of design shows are that they make them look so easy. A reality show would show that they are definitely not easy, and not straight forward. Once you think you have one thing fixed, another pops up. So not sure if this helps or not, but I think this would break the mold of the typical design shows...plus, I admit, I am a sucker for reality TV despite not wanting to be, lol.

User Stats

Votes
Tamiel Kenney
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 14 2022, 13:13

I would love to see Luxury Homes for sale in Different Markets across the country...where there is more house and market being discussed than the DRAMA happening in the real estate office (REAL or FAKE FOR TV). I would also love to see the Short Term Rental business - Different Markets across the county & what owners are doing to make their property stand out...

User Stats

Votes
Brad Holcman
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Replied Jan 15 2022, 15:49

@Tamiel 

@Tamiel Kenney Thank you for your post! I appreciate it. Unfortunately for me I believe those ideas have been done before, but if you think of anything else let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Brad Holcman
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Replied Jan 15 2022, 15:50

@Mackenzie Grate Thank you for replying. Is that a thing? There could be something with that!

User Stats

Votes
Brad Holcman
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Katonah, NY
Replied Jan 15 2022, 15:53

@Bruce Lynn Thank you for the response! As for your ideas - I loved exposing gurus. I think that's amazing. Probably not what I'm looking for but it's something I for sure would watch! Anyone in particular you think that should be exposed? You can privately message me. :)

As for the other ideas - I've been trying to figure out a series that showcases celebrities getting their feet wet in real estate investment. 

If you think of anything else - please message me!

Account Closed
  • Handyman
  • Minnesota
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Minnesota
Replied Jan 18 2022, 04:52

@Brad Holcman

I have always wondered what the hell happened in these homes before I end up with them? 

Seeing the combination on intentional stupidity, complete disregard for taking care of anything, borderline mental health issues, and overall neglectful care of the own well being leads to their home ending up on a TV show. Catching them on camera whining about how some greasy "investor" screwed them out of their perfect move-in ready home would be a plus. 

Unfortunately I feel that the people who revolve their lives around reality TV are the same ones selling me their home. 

The reality in house flipping is pretty dull, it's mostly just work. You could probably catch a lot of drama following married blue collar couples that do live-in flips. Those are some real moments. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Kolodij
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
ModeratorReplied Jan 18 2022, 05:27
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

If you would take the challenge...I would say an exposé  on gurus.....Who shows up (the guru or hired presenter) , how much money they charge, what's their history, what lies do they tell, success of their students etc.   Lots of junk out there.   Watchdog Dave Lieber in Dallas has done some stories.

Anyone fixing and flipping ranches?  That might be fun.  

Anyone fixing and flipping historic buildings?  That might be fun.

Lots of people fixing flipping apartments right now.

Celebrity flips might be fun....seems like a lot of stars are able to do some super flips and may make more money in real estate than original gig.

I like the probate suggestion above.

Gayborhood rehabs..... in many cities whole neighborhoods have been transformed.

I have a few Dallas personalities to suggest....if I can trade you for a cameo role.

Check out Spencer Cornelius on Youtube. He does a series on Authentic or Charlatan. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/Spen...

That's exactly what he does is take on mostly REI Gurus- It's a great channel.

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Kolodij
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
ModeratorReplied Jan 18 2022, 05:30

@Brad Holcman

I like the exposing Guru idea too. I listed a friend's youtube above- I'd reach out to him if that's something you'd be interested in. He's based in Vegas too. 

@Spencer Cornelia 

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied Jan 18 2022, 10:04

@Brad Holcman Oh it's definitely a thing.... Lol I got stories from this live-in reno:

- Cut to last weekend, sub zero degree weather, and me trying to prevent the pipes from freezing at 2 am and not realizing the sputtering is normal when you have a house on a well (this is my first property that has a well rather than municipal water)

- Having a sulfer pump attached to the entirely wrong well on the property and then having to get it uninstalled, build a new pump house, and reinstalled in that pump house...

- Did I mention a lady bug infestation? Who has that? I do...and am figuring that out as we speak...

I can go on and on. Live in flips are no joke, lol. Except they are. Lots of funny things can happen...frustrating, but funny when you look back... :)

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Jan 18 2022, 18:46

@Brad Holcman I'd love to see the scammers and the other side of the story. 

For example, many people want to help out tenants that feel they have been taken advantage of. But those in the business know that for every legitimate complaint from a tenant there are three that are just scammers.

I have seen well meaning "Do Gooders" falling for the sob stories of absolute scammers. It would be nice to see both sides. That means both scummy landlords but also scummy tenants and how both are playing the system. 

As someone who likes to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, I have been played pretty hard by some that are gaming the system. It has certainly given me some great stories to tell.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 27 2023, 15:37

hey Brad, just DM'd you. we are currently developing a blue sea project with enormous potential in the real estate television space.  Let me know if you would like to discuss. 

Thanks!

Israel Brooks