Votes
Eric Engelson
  • Framingham, MA
Votes |
Seminars

Eric Engelson
  • Framingham, MA
Posted Sep 18 2013, 15:25

Are Fortune Builders' 3 day workshops worth the $197.00 for the two of us?

My wife & I have renovated a number of houses but only as residents. After a few years we've sold them. I'm now interested in starting slowly at flipping them.

Thanks in advance for some feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Raymond B.
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Florida
Replied Sep 18 2013, 18:04

@Eric Engelson,

At the top right hand corner of this forum, you will see a "search box."

I suggest that you use that, and you will see plenty of responses to your question, concerning "Fortune Builders."

Raymond

User Stats

Votes
Ben R.
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Sep 18 2013, 18:19

@Eric Engelson

If you don't have them already, print yourself some "I Buy Houses" biz cards, get there early, and hand them to everybody in the hall...
@Eric Engelson

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Sillaman
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Votes |
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Replied Sep 18 2013, 18:31

The main goal of the FB seminar is to get your to buy into their Mastery Program which costs in excess of $25,000! Though they have lots of info, strategies, and tools to help you succeed, it's nothing you can't get for free just by browsing the forums here. Go ahead and attend the 3 day seminar but I wouldn't recommend going to Mastery. If you have something like $25,000 to invest into Real Estate, look for local rehabbers to meet and maybe catch lunch with to get a better idea of how to Flip locally. You'll really be able to find anyone interested in Real Estate investing by attending your local Real Estate Investment Assoc meetings. Just think, $25,000 which is the cost of Mastery is really a down payment or "skin" in the game when going for Hard Money on a Flip deal. Best way to learn the game is by doing!

I only know this because I'll admit it, I bought into "JumpStart" which was a $9,000 wholesaling 3month program. I did learn some things but after I found BP, my mind was blown. The amount of value you get from other people posts here is worth thousands!

If you want to flip seriously, you'll need cash and a lot of it. If you have friends and family willing to support you a find "deal" or properties that can be flipped for a decent profit and present it to them to get a loan. You'll also need a Realtor who is willing to work with you to find the best properties that are viable flips. If you can't get a realtor to work with you, get your Agent's License so you can have immediate access to the MLS so you can find properties to flip/make offers ASAP before others take them.

User Stats

Votes
Martin Zawarski
  • Contractor
  • Easton, PA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Easton, PA
Replied Jan 25 2014, 14:26

Fortune Builders is a really good even great start to get you motivated and pumped up to enter this business. It will be a great place to network. I enjoyed that experience totally. It is worth the price. $197 for 2 people I believe.

Did I sign up for the program that they were offering??? - No Way! The information you need is here as well as other places. Just this week I started listening to Bigger Pockets Podcasts while working on my current FLIP. I use my smartphone with a $16 bluetooth speaker bought on ebay. If the speaker gets dirty, painted, kicked ---who cares. I already have listened to 12 different ones. Great Information!

User Stats

Votes
China Kodani
  • Hilo, HI
Votes |
  • Hilo, HI
Replied Sep 9 2014, 16:25

I agree with everyone -- it is worth the 197.00 for two people.  Both my boyfriend and I recently came back from the Insiders Summit workshop.  They pitched to us a Platnium Membership which would cost us $35k for 12 months of access.  They had whoever was interested in the membership to fill out an application which included why we wanted to join the program and obviously -- our assests including check and savings accounts, properties owned, and credit card limits.  During the interview it was quite obvious what information they were most intersted in.

Jeremy Black was the speaker and I will say that for what you do learn in the three days, it's worth the near $200.  Not to mention, there is a great amount of networking to be made.  There were several contractors at our conference and others who had years of experience in Real Estate Investing.    

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Long
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Forest Grove, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Forest Grove, OR
Replied Sep 10 2014, 17:58

I haven't been to one, but from what I've read I'll agree with others that say you won't learn anything there that you can't here and other places online.

I personally cannot stand the thought of PAYING someone money to then have to suffer through a sales pitch, not matter what content they provide leading up to it. Only pitches I've sat through are ones where I genuinely am interested in the product, or where they give me something (like a free stay in Vegas), and even then, by the end of the pitch I tell myself "never again." 

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Sep 10 2014, 19:49

I've never been, but my guess is that, if you don't know much about investing, you'll likely get your money's worth for the $197 (yes, I'm very anti-guru, but it's likely a brand new investor will get at least $200 worth of info and motivation from that sort of thing)...

That said, here are some caveats:

1.  If there's any chance you're the type to get suckered in by a good sales pitch, leave your credit cards at home;

2.  Even if you think there's no chance you'll get suckered in by a good sales pitch, leave your credit cards at home;

3.  While you'll likely get a few good investing ideas and lots of motivation, you'll also likely have to sit through lots of pitching.  If you're not willing to sit through the crap to get the few nuggets of good info, don't bother going;

4.  Leave you credit cards at home.  They WILL try to sell you their $25K+ programs...and my guess is that those aren't worth anywhere near what you'd pay for them.

User Stats

Votes
Robert D.
  • Investor
  • Bartlett, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bartlett, IL
Replied Oct 18 2014, 07:52

those who can't do it .....teach. it is that simple. 

all the knowledge is here. its up to if you want somebody for 25 large to school you ...or you want spend your time diligently researching information on various forums on biggerpockets.