Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Olverson
Votes |
Finally made it into Real Estate Investing at a High Level !!!

Dustin Olverson
Posted Jan 7 2022, 16:20

I have been following and learning from Bigger Pockets for years. I never had the opportunity to really apply myself to real estate because of the military. About three years ago I decided to retire after 25 years in the Army and it was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. 

Over the last three years I have done nothing accept real estate. No vacations, 80 hours a week, rain, snow, and Covid could not stop me from buying, selling, flipping, are learning about real estate. I made and lost a lot of friends during this journey and I am a different person now. 

Currently I am in position to flip 30 properties this year with a forecast of 8 properties hitting the market during the first quarter. I own a title, construction, flipping, real estate, transaction coordination company, and purchased 5 Buy and holds last year. 

What I would like to share from my experience is that you can't give up! but also, you cannot passively pursue a high level endeavor. It take a lot of action, persistency, and perseverance. I was so focused, I actually had a mentor stop me to take a minute to look up from all the houses and take a minute to admire my accomplishments.  

I will also have to say if you have poor spending habits or in debt to work on those areas. Each houses is its own financial liability. And if you're worried about your own personal house hold. Most Likely a scarcity mindset will set-in and it will impact your decision making processes on your investments. 

You only need 3 things to really flip a house and most people only have two of them: (1.Property 2.Money 3.Contractors) I hope who ever reads this accomplish their Real Estate goals!! 

My next stop is new construction and Commercial, and it seems to be more challenging than the last endeavor. 

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Braig
Pro Member
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 24 2022, 12:48

HI Dustin, 

Thanks for taking the time to pos and share. This was valuable to hear and an important reminder. i hope things have continued to progress well and that 2022 proves to be a successful one. 

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Olverson
Votes |
Replied Jan 24 2022, 13:19

Thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Jan 24 2022, 13:45
Congrats on your success and accomplishments! Thank you for your service!!!

Scaling is not easy and takes systems and time. Sounds like you have done that in record time. Controlling multiple aspects of the business is also a big help. For me and my success, much of it came from the build up of having my own construction company/team, RE license for sales and acquisition commissions (plus MLS access), and the design hat as well.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Olverson
Votes |
Replied Jan 25 2022, 15:24

Exactly, I actually have about 20 agents and a strong construction team. Just started my 2nd title company as well. 

Having control brings more opportunities. But the biggest part of my success has been creating relationships with lenders, lawyers, and investors.

Thank you for reading my post and the support.