• New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
cost to add a bathroom

Sam Dykes
  • New to Real Estate
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Jan 18 2022, 07:03

Hi! I am looking at adding a full or half bath to a 3Bed/1Bed single family. I was wondering if any bigger pockets members have done this and have any advice. Did it increase the homes value? How much did the bathroom addition cost?

Thanks!
Sam

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 18 2022, 09:08

Hey Sam, it will certainly increase the value and make your property more desirable as most folks are looking for a minimum of a 3/2. As far as costs, it really will determine on where your property is, cost of permits, the subs you use, size of the bathroom and materials. The best case scenario is when you can locate the new bathroom by existing plumbing such as the other bathroom, kitchen sink or laundry. It makes it easier and thus cheaper for your plumber. In North Texas the minimum would be around 6k depending on the factors mentioned above but the return is at least 10-15k for us not to mention a much faster sell/rent. 

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied Jan 18 2022, 11:53

It definitely will increase the resale value as long as it's done in a tasteful and legitimate way. I once bought a property that had turned the back porch into a bathroom. There was an elderly person living there and her son had converted it so she could have a bathroom "downstairs." Obviously this wasn't legal, or well done and didn't increase the value of the property at all. We ripped it out. But a legit bathroom that is permitted and has neutral finishings will always increase value. Half baths are better than nothing, but a full bathroom is ideal.

As far as prices go, that varies entirely. What square footage do you have? What level of finishes? How much are permits in your area? Are you doing the work yourself or are you hiring it out? It's very hard to just put a number on that without knowing your market specifically and looking at the actual space you plan to convert. Sometimes things like support beams have to be worked around... so best to get a few bids from licensed and insured contractors. Whether you end up using them or not, they may be able to bring to your attention added issues that need to be addressed other than the ones you thought of.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jan 18 2022, 13:41

We looked at this extensively about 10 years ago.  There was a nice price gap in the 1950s/1960s 3/1s that were about 1000sqft.  Our idea was to add nicer master bath and a big closet to make these more appealing.  At that point it was about $40,000 to do what we wanted, mainly to engineer and pour a slab.  Maybe cheaper on pier and beam homes, but in these neighborhoods everything was slab.   We never did it, because we just didn't think we could do the work and then get cost plus nice return on the extra expense.  Might have made sense for owner/occupants, but for flips the was just not enough margin for us.

This was in DFW metroplex.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 3 2022, 09:26

I recently posted an article giving a breakdown of what you can expect when adding a new bathroom to your home. I hope to walk folks through the difficult parts so they know what to expect and find success. I hope this article is helpful to you.  https://glennpiercehomeimprove...