• Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
Help! Garage Door Rehab Question

Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Posted Jan 21 2022, 05:52

I'm in the middle of a renovation and garage doors are backed up for MONTHS... literally, 8 months minimum they said. I was fortunate to find a lightly used garage door nearby. The homeowner was upgrading, and looking to hand off her older ones. There is only one small problem, her door is a slightly different size than mine. My garage door measures 8' wide x 7' tall and hers measures 9’ wide x 8’ tall. Is there any way to cut it down? Or get different tracks? Doors are expensive so I'd really like to figure this out, save some money and save that other perfectly good door from going into a landfill. Any one have experience with this or know someone who I could reach out to that does?

TIA! I appreciate your help!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 21 2022, 07:33

@Mackenzie Grate I just did a quick search on Home Depot and they have 8' by 7' doors in stock. I looked in your county and in my city, both have door options under $500 in stock. It is difficult or even impossible on metal doors to cut their size. Even wood doors could be a problem. You could change your opening size, but 8x7 is the most common size, so that is not ideal. I personally wouldn't install a used one. They are highly mechanical and any defect can cause issues in opening or closing. 

I am also questioning who told you 8 months back order? Never believe what people tell you without verifying from multiple sources. It could be 8 months for them and in stock for someone else. I have found that many times through the pandemic. Some people have a better supply chain than others.

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied Jan 21 2022, 08:22

This is super helpful. I really appreciate it! Thank you for the advice. I'm calling HD immediately! :)

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.