Votes
Jarrod Kohl
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Is anyone finding good deals right now?

Jarrod Kohl
  • Boston, MA
Posted May 26 2022, 07:53

I have been struggling with the low inventory. I have never really used wholesalers before but I am certainly open to it! Anyone finding any good deals out there? 

I would love to grab some more properties but just not finding the right deals right now. And as much as I KNOW I need to be patient, it kills me to sit on the sidelines with no active flips or STRs....

I have even started dabilling in some out of state markets like Ohio (vs Boston area)

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied May 26 2022, 08:18

Yes! I cold call and prospect and find off market deals in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 26 2022, 08:20
Quote from @Jarrod Kohl:

I have been struggling with the low inventory. I have never really used wholesalers before but I am certainly open to it! Anyone finding any good deals out there? 

I would love to grab some more properties but just not finding the right deals right now. And as much as I KNOW I need to be patient, it kills me to sit on the sidelines with no active flips or STRs....

I have even started dabilling in some out of state markets like Ohio (vs Boston area)

Hi Jarrod,

I am still finding deals here in Columbus and Cincinnati. I just picked up 2 more deals a few weeks ago. The price to rent ratio makes for great investments. Not to mention our appreciation has been 8% higher then the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

Let me know if you need help.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 26 2022, 10:08
Quote from @Jarrod Kohl:

Why don't you cold call properties to find deals? That is what I do in Columbus.

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied May 26 2022, 11:06
Quote from @Jarrod Kohl:

We are going to sell somewhere around $30,000,000 in sales to investors this year.  So lots of clients think we are finding good deals.  I am also buying, sometimes I buy deals 2-3 clients have passed on because they are light lifts and easy to manage.  Sometimes I buy things because I have a construction company and need a project to work on through the winter.  These are good deals to me, but may not be good deals to you... which begs the question... how are you defining a good deal?
  • Real Estate Agent NY (#10401329866)

Irish Jones Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied May 26 2022, 12:20

@Jarrod Kohl
Still finding good deals in Columbus OH. I cold call a lot and source deals that way! 

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Misch
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 26 2022, 17:54

MLS deals are still possible (bought my current BRRRR in Cleveland this year from the MLS), however at the moment it is the area with the least. Wholesalers are a good source as long as you vet them as well as possible, and be sure your still getting a good deal with their fee. The best way as stated by a few people is hunt for the deals yourself. Call owners and send mailers. These deals will have the most chance for the most "meat on the bone" and profit.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Hammel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Replied May 27 2022, 05:34

@Jarrod Kohl

Metro Detroit

(my rental portfolio is here)

Purchase: $80k-$130k

Rent: $1200-$1500

ROI: Double Digit

Cash flow: couple hundred/month

Appreciation: Double digit (for past 10 years, will gladly send data)

We have over a dozen Fortune 500 companies just in Metro Detroit with huge Healthcare and Auto industries.

The bad reputation comes from OOS investors wanting $20k D market properties.

Investors can retire (FIRE) in a few years with these.

We love them

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied May 27 2022, 06:40

Network with people in the community! There's still plenty of deals out there!

The Elle Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jake Soper
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lawrence, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Lawrence, MA
Replied May 27 2022, 10:23

One thing to consider about investing here vs a lower cost area, are the spreads on a fix n flip. As far as finding the deals, direct mail, calling, etc is still performing for us on the north shore for off market properties.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jul 10 2022, 06:39
Quote from @Jarrod Kohl:

There is always good deals to be had. Are they as easy to find in 2022 as they were in 2014? No, definitely not. But, they are still there.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 10 2022, 08:09

Deals will be found in any market in any RE environment. Wether you ever see them is the real question. Be in the trenches, cold calling, door knocking