Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes

Young , and don’t where to start !

Hayden Oppermann
Posted Jun 8 2022, 16:33

Hello !! I’m Hayden i’m 15 years old , i’m wanting to take my dreams into reality, i’ve always had a big goal and that is to become successful and have finicial freedom, I have always wanted to get into real state i just learned about house flipping, rental property investing . I even want to start my own business in real state . But the issue is i have no idea where to start i want to take advantage as being a teenager and having freedom and get good at real state and learn more about it . I really want to prove people wrong and make my parents proud. If anyone can help me and give me tips on where to start and get good at it please help me it would greatly appreciated ! 🙏

User Stats

Votes
Allan Smith
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jun 8 2022, 21:05

Start with goals, then select a strategy in real estate. I have a paid mentorship program if you decide you want some guidance. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Miller
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 9 2022, 06:59

Welcome my man! You have great goals and those are very admirable. You are so young to be interested in this and it really gives you a head start. 

My biggest biggest advice would be to read, talk and listen to as much information about real estate as possible. Be a sponge. I would agree with Allan that mentorship is good. I do not personally ever agree with paid mentorship however. Try asking your parents who they know that invests in real estate and then reach out the that person. Ask what you can do for them and how you can bring them value.

If you ever need advice or just want to talk you are always able to call me. You got this buddy. DREAM BIG 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jun 9 2022, 07:02

Step 1: Finish High School

Step 2: Work a job for a few years in the industry. Become a loan officer, a loan processor, a real estate agent, a contractor, work for a title company, etc. And while doing that spend a ton of time reading books, listening to podcasts, participating in these forums, and just generally learning the ropes.

Step 3: Reassess your goals and objectives

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Jun 9 2022, 07:38

Hayden, thanks for posting your question. We are happy you are here. The first step is to read a lot. Start with Keller and Papasan's The Millionaire Real Estate Investor. If you are set on flipping, use these forums to find some flippers in your area. Many would be willing to take you on as an apprentice. I agree with @Scott E.: be sure to not let it impact your studies right now. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 9 2022, 08:38

Hey @Hayden Oppermann!

Congrats on your ambition!

Bigger Pockets recently published a book that's perfect for you! It's called First to a Million. You should check it out! If you have questions about the book, let me know. I am the author. :-) Also, check out this forum post.

In addition, DM me if you are interested in an online community of young, like-minded individuals.

Best of luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 19 2022, 09:24

I love this. What is going to make you successful is not being the most knowledgeable person, it’s being hungry, motivated, and willing to work even on your worst days. Keep at it

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 20 2022, 10:57
Quote from @Scott E.:

Step 1: Finish High School

Step 2: Work a job for a few years in the industry. Become a loan officer, a loan processor, a real estate agent, a contractor, work for a title company, etc. And while doing that spend a ton of time reading books, listening to podcasts, participating in these forums, and just generally learning the ropes.

Step 3: Reassess your goals and objectives

100% agree with Scott. You can earn a decent income in any of these jobs AND learn the industry at the same time (without spending a fortune on a 4-year college degree). I bet you could even get an internship or part-time job working in the industry right now (or after you turn 16).

Good luck Hayden!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 20 2022, 11:04

Read Rich Dad Poor Dad.

Good Luck!