Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Joe Jernigan
Votes |
Buying Costs for Auction homes

Joe Jernigan
Posted Jun 20 2022, 10:53

Should you estimate the same amount for buying costs when buying at an auction as you would when buying through the more traditional method? I am using hard money.

Thanks for any help, and if you need more info, please let me know, and I will clarify.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 20 2022, 11:21

To better answer your question I'd need to know what kind of auction you're referring to (a foreclosure sale or bank-owned auction).

At a foreclosure sale there are no buying costs. If you are the winning bidder you pay that amount and that's it. There could be outstanding taxes due, and/or utility bills, but that's pretty much all you need to factor in.

Bank-owned auctions are much different and there are a variety of costs the seller may ad to the transaction (i.e bidding fee, title/escrow fees).

For foreclosure auctions you'll need $5,000 on the day of sale and balance by noon the following day. Here's a link to search for foreclosures in Alabama:

https://www.alabamapublicnotic...

User Stats

Votes
Joe Jernigan
Votes |
Replied Jun 20 2022, 12:25

Thank you for your help! That’s exactly what I needed to know. It’s a foreclosure sale. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Ivey
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Marysville, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Marysville, WA
Replied Jun 21 2022, 06:44

Doing your due diligence is very important because of liens. Water & HOA liens will not drop off IRS liens will take 180 days I believe. Mechanic liens don't survive a foreclosure but may take extra title work at the end to sell with warranty deed. I have paid a few water liens in excess of 5k (I did know that before I bought). And then if property isn't vacant all the legal & holding cost to get them evicted or cash for keys.

good luck & stay firm on your top number there is always next week.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 21 2022, 08:54
Quote from @Joe Jernigan:

Thank you for your help! That’s exactly what I needed to know. It’s a foreclosure sale. 

You're welcome, good luck!