Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Sean Robbins
Votes |
Strategic Direct-Mail Campaigns, and where the HECK to start!

Sean Robbins
Posted Jul 6 2022, 13:12

Hey Community!

I am currently on the search for my first fix & flip opportunity. As of now I am sourcing via wholesalers, MLS, and Non-MLS marketplaces. Long story, short... One of my mission critical priorities is to be fully self-sufficient in my sourcing efforts. Direct mail is where I would like to start, but I don't have the first clue as to what search parameters I should be focused on in order to build a list. I visited listsource.com and there are an overwhelming amount of options. HALP!

P.s. All answers are welcome... and please let me know if I need to expound on anything in order to get a more direct answer!

P.s.s I tried to search for a previous thread about this topic but was not very successful. Forgive me if this is a repeat!

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Replied Jul 6 2022, 13:13

Hey Sean, I would reach out and meet wholesales in your area they might even find yourself a property to invest in.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Tvenge
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jul 7 2022, 14:22

This is just advice I'd give a friend if they were looking for your first flip I wouldn't do direct mail for your first deal. I would meet your top local wholesalers and surf MLS. I do 10-15 flips a year ALL from wholesalers and MLS.

Direct mail will be a big expense, while most big wholesalers and flippers can make way better margins going straight to seller I wouldn't recommend it for your first deal. Get a flip or two under your belt then expand to go straight to the source. 

Hope this helps, best of luck! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sean Robbins
Votes |
Replied Jul 12 2022, 10:09
Quote from @Brett Tvenge:

This is just advice I'd give a friend if they were looking for your first flip I wouldn't do direct mail for your first deal. I would meet your top local wholesalers and surf MLS. I do 10-15 flips a year ALL from wholesalers and MLS.

Direct mail will be a big expense, while most big wholesalers and flippers can make way better margins going straight to seller I wouldn't recommend it for your first deal. Get a flip or two under your belt then expand to go straight to the source. 

Hope this helps, best of luck! 

I really appreciate your advice on this topic, Brett! Currently I am working with an agent for MLS properties, as well as receiving plenty of wholesale leads. I guess its a habit from my current industry to want to be able to generate your own leads. I definitely am not in a position to take on unneeded expenses though, especially if there isnt much of a ROI. Its kind of a relief to hear that there is plenty of success to be had with MLS/wholesalers, so I'll probably stay that course for now. Thanks again for your input.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Jul 12 2022, 11:50

I have found all of my deals - except my most recent one - on the MLS.

The most recent one was in my neighborhood (so I'm familiar with the houses, the market, etc) and came because I sold my friends a house directly next door, and they were talking to the owner. 

Tell EVERYONE you know that you're trying to buy a house. KNOW your market inside and out, so when you do see a great deal, you can jump on it. Be ready to act quickly - with your funding lined up now. 

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jul 12 2022, 12:10

Lead generation/deal sourcing is a full-time, stand alone business. It requires a completely different set of skills from rehabbing houses. That's why you see most wholesalers doing 100% wholesaling.

As Brett and Mindy have suggested, stick to buying from wholesalers/MLS to start out. Keep as many lines in the water as possible. Good luck!