Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
New roof options/ cost efficiency

Sam Zawatsky
Posted Jul 13 2022, 15:24

I am needing to purchase a new roof for one of my rentals so I can get insurance, and have been given a couple of options;

1.) shingle tear off and replacement with Tamko architectural shingles- $6850

2.) the above option but with an upgrade to Certainteed landmark architectural shingles- $7600

3.) a metal roof over the existing old shingles.- $7900

Which would you pick? The roof currently leaks around the gutter/soffit area and has rotted some of the truss/ decking/soffit wood. I know metal roofs are supposed to be good, but putting it over the existing shingles kind of makes me feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't want old , loose shingles sandwiched under a metal roof for 50+years.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 13 2022, 17:06

A metal roof is your best product for long term. I would rather do a tear-off and have it installed directly over the sheathing......with new paper of course. Why not ask for the price difference? It would be worth it even at $2k-3k more...

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Jul 14 2022, 09:23

Bruce (above) is correct.  IF $ feasable, tear off the existing layers of shingles, install a good THICK and SYNTHETIC underlayment (like Ice/Water barrier, not cheap synthetic) and not just 2 layers of black felt; insulation boards; then the metal roof.  The insulation boards will add an important R-Value to the roof and structure.  It's worth the $ to have/get those.  The thicker the insulation, generally the higher the R-value (better).

Now as to the other options..

"We" don't like using Tamko shingles, if it can be helped. :)  BUT, the Certainteed brand shouldn't cost that much more!  (thus showing, Tamko IS the builder grade/cheaper option most times).  Most shingle brands, when comparing the same quality of shingle, are $200-400 difference in pricing.  Here in Texas, most times the GAF HD (now HDZ) is a good choice.  Not the best color options at times, but a good product.  And here, Home Depot carries them and is usually cheaper than the suppliers!

*** The leaking areas, or fixing the rotted areas, should be directly spelt out in any arrangements with a roofing contractor.  That can all be fixed, but you need to make sure it is specifically noted on the Contract or agreement with them.***

And, for some types of metal roofs, yes you can go directly over the existing shingles (must be prepped before hand of course).  Even with laying down thin iso (insulation) boards, then the metal.  But as mentioned above, installing the ISO boards and the metal roof on good clean decking is preferred.

If you have questions or if we can help out in any other way (here in the Dallas, Texas area), let me/us know!

Jerry  w/J's Roofing

JsRoofing.com

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 14 2022, 16:12

I like @Jerry V.s idea about new synthetic insulation. Very smart. I just said paper as a generic term and because I'm old.... :-)

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied Jul 17 2022, 07:52

@Sam Zawatsky where is the property ?

User Stats

Votes