Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Cody W.
Votes |
Flip or rent? New purchase-take profit or rent long term?

Cody W.
Posted Jul 16 2022, 15:02

Just purchased a property under market value. Option 1 is to flip immediately not touching the property and make $15-18k profit after all done.  Would pay short term capital gains so more like $10-$12K profit. Option 2 is to sink $5,000 into property in rehab over the next 3 months when I'm not doing my W2 job and rent it out. Preliminary rent numbers after rehab showing about a 11% cash on cash return after year 1.  Purchase price $88,000 I have offers for $110,000 now. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 16 2022, 15:36

What do you want to do? and what is the actual cash flow (not a percentage)? If you do rent it, plan on holding it for more than 1 year.  If you sold it, what would you do with the cash and would you net a larger return?  A $15-18K profit for a house around $100K is pretty good.

User Stats

Votes
Cody W.
Votes |
Replied Jul 16 2022, 15:46
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

What do you want to do? and what is the actual cash flow (not a percentage)? If you do rent it, plan on holding it for more than 1 year.  If you sold it, what would you do with the cash and would you net a larger return?  A $15-18K profit for a house around $100K is pretty good.

Cash flow would be $4,000.  I did finance with 25% down and would have another $5000 in rehab.  If I sold I would put that towards other debt or try to find another deal out there to buy and rent. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 16 2022, 16:44
Quote from @Cody W.:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Cash flow would be $4,000.  I did finance with 25% down and would have another $5000 in rehab.  If I sold I would put that towards other debt or try to find another deal out there to buy and rent. 

If you'd cash flow $4K per year(?), and plan on buying another rental, I'd keep the one you have.  The value of the house has increases and if you rent it for 4-5 years you will make back what you'd get now (after taxes) and still have that equity in the home.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Kress
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Davenport, IA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Davenport, IA
Replied Aug 4 2022, 17:45

For long term buy and hold, you can definitely find better than 11% COC in the Quad Cities - I would target 20%+ (and more than $4k/yr per door depending if you self manage or not). Feel free to DM me with any questions

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Aug 5 2022, 13:55

I would aim for higher rent for a greater return. I think holding it as a long-term property would be your best bet considering monthly income and appreciation.