• Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 20 2022, 04:52

@Joel Saltzman

Go to Home Depot or lowes at 5:30 am. You will find the legit contractors at that time.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Saltzman
Votes |
Replied Jul 20 2022, 08:03

@Chris Seveney that's a great idea. How would you vette them? 

Also, it sounds like people are able to purchase out of state and do the whole BRRR process remotely. How would you find competent people remotely?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 20 2022, 09:06

Trial and error. You’re going to eat a lot of crap till you land on a good one

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jul 20 2022, 09:08
Quote from @Joel Saltzman:

@Chris Seveney that's a great idea. How would you vette them? 

Also, it sounds like people are able to purchase out of state and do the whole BRRR process remotely. How would you find competent people remotely?

If you find a contractor at Home Depot or Lowe's at 5:30a it's a fairly safe bet they are hardworking and reliable. The lazy ones don't wake up that early :)

Another way to find them is to drive around your area and look for the ones working at other peoples' homes. I stay away from the trades with fancy painted trucks/vans and matching shirts. They will be too expensive (too much marketing overhead). I like contractors that are just getting started with their business. They're motivated to grow and expand.

Good contractors prefer to work with other good contractors. So when you find one ask them for referrals.

As for finding contractors out of state...I'm on a plane right now flying from Phoenix to Green Bay to check on 3 of my houses. It's very difficult to build a team 100% remotely. I make 3-4 trips per year to the markets I invest in to meet/recruit and team build.

Finally, ALWAYS pay your contractors promptly and they will LOVE you and will make you their priority.

Good luck Joel!

User Stats

Votes
Brock Hoffman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chickasha, OK
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chickasha, OK
Replied Aug 17 2022, 13:16

@Joel Saltzman

Hi,

I know at my local community develop center where I have to get permits for the project they can print off all of the registered contractors by department. Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing. It’s several pages for each one and has contact info on there as well. If you find a good one take good care of them and pay them for there work on completion. Hope this helps and good luck.