Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
New roof color options

Sam Zawatsky
Posted Jul 21 2022, 19:27

I’ll be getting a new roof shortly for this property in Tallahassee. What color shingles do you think would look best and offer the best energy efficiency to reduce the heat?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 22 2022, 03:55

@Sam Zawatsky

Lighter colors reflect therefore reduce heat

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 22 2022, 08:18

I like light grey for an option that accomplishes both of your objectives. It looks great, it's a timeless neutral color, and it is a lighter shade than you have up there now so should have some heat reduction.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Jul 22 2022, 09:45

Can't open or zoom in to the pics but ... lighter tan/brown for the left one, med-gray or Weathered Wood (very common) for the right one.

There's usually no price difference on Colors (SOME times, the solid Blacks or Greens may cost more, because they have to add more dye into the mix to make them and all) BUT, the "availability" of them (recently) DOES make a big difference it seems.  So you'll probably get pricing all over the place.  And there are 7 different manufacturers of shingles, with different color options.  The most common color being the Weathered Wood.  Depending on the manufacturer, that WWood option could be "blaaaa" or actually look nice.

For helping with heat, many make "Cool" color options.  Yes, they are lighter in color but they also use specially coated granuals (3M?), that are supposed to resist heat gain more etc.  So yes, of course they cost more than your average shingle! :P

If you have specific questions or that, just send me a message.  Happy to help.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 22 2022, 11:07

Here is mockup brown on a finished staining the walls.

Grey on a finished staining the walls.

Grey on (as is); and 

(as is).

(Though it's not the most heat reflective) I like Brown (from the mockup) architectural shingles.

But throwing a few shingles of the chosen color up there before committing might be a good idea.

In the mockup I put some trim around the windows and doors.

Maybe toss some Pink Panther Insulation in the attic, add a roof vent or two, and make sure all of the windows and doors are sealed tight.

And if you want Home Depot sells Rain Diverters, an L shaped aluminum strip to go on the roof above doors and AC Units. They can be pained to match the roof if you want.

Unless you intend to run rain gutters, but all of those leaves and pine needles might make gutters a hassle to keep clean.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 22 2022, 11:31
Quote from @Scott Mac:

Here is mockup brown on a finished staining the walls.

Grey on a finished staining the walls.

Grey on (as is); and 

(as is).

(Though it's not the most heat reflective) I like Brown (from the mockup) architectural shingles.

But throwing a few shingles of the chosen color up there before committing might be a good idea.

In the mockup I put some trim around the windows and doors.

Maybe toss some Pink Panther Insulation in the attic, add a roof vent or two, and make sure all of the windows and doors are sealed tight.

And if you want Home Depot sells Rain Diverters, an L shaped aluminum strip to go on the roof above doors and AC Units. They can be pained to match the roof if you want.

Unless you intend to run rain gutters, but all of those leaves and pine needles might make gutters a hassle to keep clean.

I like brown although I do not mind the grey. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Replied Jul 22 2022, 11:34

I will be painting the exterior myself as well. What color do you think would look good with the light grey shingles?

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 22 2022, 12:10
Quote from @Sam Zawatsky:

I will be painting the exterior myself as well. What color do you think would look good with the light grey shingles?

White house, black trim.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 22 2022, 13:30

The grey will most likely reduce heat because it's lighter but I like the brown!

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 22 2022, 13:33

The lighter grey is what I prefer.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 22 2022, 14:20

Log Cabin siding might really make this a unique rental (???)

https://www.google.com/search?q=log+cabin+siding&rlz=1C2CHBD_enUS751US772&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnma6Mto35AhVvomoFHTS1Ai4Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1871&bih=899

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 23 2022, 09:33

Here are some color mockups

You can get tester amounts in small jars and paint splotches on the walls to see what it looks like on site.

Because there are a million whites, and a million greys and a million browns to choose from.

Here is black and white, grey and charcoal, grey and white, and mocha and java.

I put a cupola and weather vane on top to add some interest to it, and did the siding with batten boards to add some quaintness to it.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Jul 23 2022, 09:52

I'd do a grey on the house as we.. but a bit darker than the grey roof.  You can do a red front door and white trim.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 24 2022, 14:00

@Sam Zawatsky

Pics when done would be nice too...

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 11 2022, 08:39
Quote from @Scott Mac:

@Sam Zawatsky

Pics when done would be nice too...

How is it going???

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:05

Still waiting on some other things to finish up before I do the roof, but I have narrowed it down to 2 roofing contractors that are giving the best prices. Now I’m split between a light tan/ brown color and a light gray. Considering that the front of the house has tan/ light brown bricks I’m not sure which color to choose

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:07

@Jerry V.

what do you think about weathered wood color vs pewter gray  with GAF timberline HDZ shingles?

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:31

@Sam Zawatsky  LOL  Well, don't "I" feel special!!!  lolol

Since I can't see what colors you now have on the properties, I can only go by what you said recently... that it has light tan/brownish bricks, then would go with a Shakewood or Barkwood color (lighter vs darker browns, also from GAF) or the Weatheredwood.  The Pewter Gray is nice, but it has pure gray tones, no brown.  Better suited to a uniform light red brick pattern or such.

GAF HD (now called HDZ) is a good choice.  A good product and readily available from suppliers or Home Depot's.  Just be sure they get the same Lot # on all the shingles/pallet (when they were made).  If they get mixed up, you'll wind up with a slight shade variation between some of them!  If putting them on different slopes you could hide that with using them in different areas, but because it appears that you have just 2 slopes, front/back.. that'll be kinda hard.

That small job should probably take them 1/2-1 day to do.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:36

The brick front exterior is in the first, topmost picture. The house for some reason has a brick front, and a t111 back. I will be repainting the back/ sides/ soffits of the house once the siding is repaired/replaced

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:45

but I have narrowed it down to 2 roofing contractors that are giving the best prices

You probably already know this, but don't just go with the 'best price guys'...that's a sure way to get burnt. A smart owner will usually throw out the 2 lowest bids.

Check them out on the  State Contr Board website - years in business, complaints. Bonded? Insured? Workers Comp? All that stuff is way more important than price.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 10:21

Thank you@Bruce Woodruff. I have researched both companies, and they do have decent reviews. They are all also licensed and insured. I am confused a little bit by the price differences between all the different contractors, as I have received prices from 6,000- 9,000 from the quotes of different companies. I figure if there are a reasonable amount of good reviews, then they can’t do that bad of a job? This company has had their roofing license for 5 years now

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Aug 11 2022, 10:36

Thank you@Bruce Woodruff. I have researched both companies, and they do have decent reviews. They are all also licensed and insured. I am confused a little bit by the price differences between all the different contractors, as I have received prices from 6,000- 9,000 from the quotes of different companies. I figure if there are a reasonable amount of good reviews, then they can’t do that bad of a job? This company has had their roofing license for 5 years now

I would not personally pick the guy with only 5 years experience, but hey, we all had to start somewhere right...? Remember that reviews and referrals are not always accurate or legit....

I figure if a company can stick it our for 15-20 years, then they are worth dealing with...lots of moving parts in the business, and longevity counts. You want this guy to be there when you call back with an issue......

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Replied Sep 29 2022, 18:43

Update: I ended up having the lowest price roofing contractor do the reroof with GAF timberline HDZ weathered wood shingles. There was a lot of decking that needed to be replaced , as well as quite a bit of soffit, rafter, and fascia wood. They told pictures of the old decking and a lot of it looked like it was burned in a fire years ago! Also many pieces with rotten holes where water leaked through in the past. Altogether, the total price was just under 8k ( the house size is 1000 sq ft livable space + 324 sq ft for auxiliary garage space). 

I am happy with how it turned out, although it is not perfect. The roof itself seems to be done just as well as any roof, but there are minor things that may or may not matter very much in the long run. The roofers left the shingles cut a bit long in my opinion (GAF recommends 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch of overhang over the drip edge, and mine is around 1 to 1.5 inches overhanging the drip edge) but some contractors have told me that this is the old standard method and is fine. The only other concern is the soffit vents that were in the old rotten soffit wood were all thrown away by the roofers, so the new soffit wood doesn’t have vents yet. I am trying to have the roofers return to install soffit vents, but I do not think they will come back. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Sep 29 2022, 18:58

Don't make the final payment until they return the old vents or buy you new ones......

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Sep 30 2022, 14:01

@Bruce Woodruff :  Return the old/removed Soffit Vents!?!?  Did you really just say/type that!? ...

Installing new soffit vents, yes of course that should be done.  That should have been quoted in the job of Things to Do, etc.  But remember, he hired the cheapest person! lol  :P

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix