Votes
Charles Constant
Pro Member
Votes |
Permits in Pasadena?

Charles Constant
Pro Member
Posted Jul 28 2022, 17:51

Are any of you doing rehabs in Pasadena? If so, I’m curious to know what you find the average length of time between applying for a permit and actually getting it are these days.

Obviously, the city is very tightlipped about such information, so this seems to be the quickest way to get some more information.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kudo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Aug 1 2022, 15:28
Quote from @Charles Constant:

Are any of you doing rehabs in Pasadena? If so, I’m curious to know what you find the average length of time between applying for a permit and actually getting it are these days.

Obviously, the city is very tightlipped about such information, so this seems to be the quickest way to get some more information.

Are you referring to Pasadena, CA or Pasadena, TX?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Constant
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 1 2022, 16:58

Hi Jason,

Sorry, I am new to the whole Forum thing and I thought I posted in the Los Angeles group. I am referring to Pasadena, CA. We are in the process of closing on a fix and flip in Pasadena and one of the partners wants to add square footage, but most of the partners think it’s going to take a long time for permits. I’m just hoping to gather a bit of information from people who know what it’s like there. Thanks!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Irina Costea
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 2 2022, 03:03

Hi Charles, I am an architect here in the Los Angeles area and am currently doing a project in Pasadena (not real estate investment related, it is for a client). One of the reasons that the city is probably being illusive with regards to the timeline is because it really does, truly depend on where the property is, what overlay districts you are in, which departments are triggered by the scope of work you are trying to do, and what your scope of work actually is. If you are touching anything having to do with the historic department, everything is going to take much, much longer. If you would like to send me the address of the property via DM, I would be happy to look up a couple of things and point you in the right direction.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kudo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Aug 2 2022, 10:04
Quote from @Charles Constant:

Hi Jason,

Sorry, I am new to the whole Forum thing and I thought I posted in the Los Angeles group. I am referring to Pasadena, CA. We are in the process of closing on a fix and flip in Pasadena and one of the partners wants to add square footage, but most of the partners think it’s going to take a long time for permits. I’m just hoping to gather a bit of information from people who know what it’s like there. Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification. I saw a couple of your previous posts mentioning out-of-state properties so I thought I'd ask before jumping right in. Pasadena, CA, in general, is notoriously slow with permits involving additions and permits in general. If you're looking to get in and out quickly on a property, say three months, it's going to be tough. If you have six months, it is more feasible. If the property is in a historical overlay, you can potentially expect longer than six months.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Constant
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 2 2022, 11:42

Thanks, Jason. That seems to be the general feeling. I appreciate your help!

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Marroquin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 15:34

Hello. We have done multiple projects for clients in Pasadena and currently doing a new construction ADU on summit.

It will depend on scope of work. If you are doing major additions, structural,  etc it may be between 6 months and 1 year. Depending also on your architect or drafter. I think you have to be the squeaky wheel. Meaning, that you have to email your planner and any other department head that is working on your project bc they are human and they will forget or miss deadlines. 

I have friends that work in various departments and can "push" it along faster. 

Let me know if you need help.