Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Trim paint peeling off- what should I do?

Sam Zawatsky
Posted Jul 31 2022, 11:13

Hello,

I am painting a house for a family member, as the previous painter that was hired to do so was cutting corners and not doing a thorough job. As I was sanding everything, I noticed that the newest coat of trim paint that the fired painter put on without sanding (Sherwin Williams proclassic satin interior) did not stick at all to the old yellowed door casings. Whenever anyone even Lightly scratches the door casings the paint begins to peel off and can’t really be stopped until it is all scraped off. What should I do? I was considering scraping/ sanding off off all of this recent coat of trim paint and aggressively sanding the old yellowed paint so that it will accept the new coat better. Will this be enough? Do I need to sand aggressively, then apply a special primer or something before the new coat?

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 31 2022, 12:03

I see a trend in your posts. I think you’d greatly benefit by hiring professionals in their respective trades vs trying to be a jack of all trades / DIY’ing everything. Focus on whatever you are best at and let others do what they do

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 31 2022, 12:15

What kind of paint was on it before?  It is possible it was an oil based paint.  Go to a paint store and ask about primers. Some will allow you to transition from oil to latex and even if it wasn't oil, they will still work.  Sand down the paint to remove any loose paint and make sure the surface is clean and dry. Then apply the primer followed by a trim paint.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Zawatsky
Votes |
Replied Jul 31 2022, 12:18
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

What kind of paint was on it before?  It is possible it was an oil based paint.  Go to a paint store and ask about primers. Some will allow you to transition from oil to latex and even if it wasn't oil, they will still work.  Sand down the paint to remove any loose paint and make sure the surface is clean and dry. Then apply the primer followed by a trim paint.

I believe it may be an oil based paint underneath. Just a guess, but it seems to have those characteristics

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 31 2022, 12:21

That's what it looks like to me.  I can't think of any other reason the new paint would peal off in sheets like that.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 31 2022, 12:39

Like @Theresa Harris said, when it peels off like that, it is because they put the new water based paint over the oil based without primer. Now you need to sand it all down and prime - with a high quality expensive primer like Bullseye or Zinnser.

And stop doing your own work. You don't look like a Contractor to me.....

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 31 2022, 12:44
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

And stop doing your own work. You don't look like a Contractor to me.....

Yup!

User Stats

Votes
Rebecca E.
  • Wisconsin: Eau Claire and Rapids
Votes |
  • Wisconsin: Eau Claire and Rapids
Replied Aug 1 2022, 06:58

@Sam Zawatsky

We've had bad luck with contractors who didn't do the job correctly, didn't show up, etc. As a result, we've been doing DIY as a defense mechanism. Somethings can be done just as well and I thinking painting is one that can be acceptable.

You'll want to sand some and use a primer to transition from oilbased to latex paint. Oil-based trim paint used to be extremely common and the preferred way to paint trim. You'll also want to use a good alkyd paint, such as BM advance or SW emerald. Good luc!