User Stats

Votes
Emmett Kelly
Votes |
Home Improvement Skills for Beginners

Emmett Kelly
Posted Nov 5 2022, 15:05

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on learning basic home improvement skills? I am a new investor and have never been very handy around the house. Wondering how I can start from "square one"?

Was looking at things like Home Depot DIY workshops or even enrolling in some contracting courses at a local trade school. Does anyone have thoughts on either of these options? Or anything else to add? 

Also, I live in the SF Bay area and would be happy to help out any investors/contracts with any home improvement projects they may have and the weekends. I don't have much experience but am eager to learn and help!

Thanks,

Emmett

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Normand
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Nov 5 2022, 15:42

I already responded to your previous post, but I'll answer again here for anyone who's new to the conversation...

YouTube should be your first stop if you want to learn DIY. There are tutorial videos for just about everything. Personally I think Home Renovision DIY has the most comprehensive and well made content, but there are hundreds of other good channels out there too.

Once you've built up your knowledge and confidence watching videos, the best way to learn is by doing. Start with something simple like painting, then move on to more complex projects as you build skills and confidence. If you own your own home, practice there. If you rent, it's a little more difficult to practice,  but here are some options:

1) Ask your landlord if you can do little projects around the house. They might even buy materials for you if you provide the labor and do a quality job.

2) Volunteer for a local organization like Habitat for Humanity

3) Find a local GC and ask if they ever need help with jobs. Sometimes they just need an extra set of hands so if you have a good attitude they'll let you work with them even if you don't have a lot of experience. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Nov 5 2022, 15:45

@Emmett Kelly, In addition to YouTube, I think this book is very good for beginners. It helps you identify the complexity, tools, and time it will take for a project. It gives you confidence in trying something new because you have an idea of what you're getting into.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Im...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes