Votes
Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Advice on what to do with rental while waiting for window replace

Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Posted Nov 8 2022, 11:27

I am having an issue where I just ordered new windows and was told the windows may not arrive for 16-20 weeks. A couple of the windows are pretty damaged or stuck in a certain position. I would love some advice on things I could do in the meantime in order to cover them up or do a quick fix as I would like to put a renter in the unit as soon as possible, or should I just wait until the windows have been replaced. Thanks for the advice.

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Nov 8 2022, 11:32

Is it livable and secure and renovated aside from the windows?  Are they wood windows that are completely being replaced?

If everything else is completed it would be easy to get plexiglass and secure (nails, caulk, by a contractor) that to the frame.  And after covid you can probably get it for a song.

I would offer a discount on rent until its replaced, just to be cool and acknowledge its not as pretty as it will be. Maybe $50 bucks off. 

User Stats

Votes
Anthony McEvoy
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Champaign, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Champaign, IL
Replied Nov 8 2022, 11:45

Hello @Nicholas Jackson - I was in the same position last year.  Unfortunately, the damage to two of the windows just did not make the place desirable.

Depending on the extent of the damage, you can still list it.  However, you should also think what it would take to replace the windows while there is a tenant in there.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied Nov 8 2022, 15:51
I would look up builder supply houses and see if you can get windows to fit.  We had to replace some and found ones that worked with a little shimming and buildout for very little compared to custom windows and waiting.  

Depending on where you live, try these:

https://www.homeoutlet.com/

https://ilovedirtcheapbuilding...

Both have been helpful for what we have needed in past projects

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Nov 8 2022, 15:53

It's winter so no need to open the windows, right? I'd just disclose and get a renter in there....

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 9 2022, 14:28
Quote from @Lisa Wright:

Is it livable and secure and renovated aside from the windows?  Are they wood windows that are completely being replaced?

If everything else is completed it would be easy to get plexiglass and secure (nails, caulk, by a contractor) that to the frame.  And after covid you can probably get it for a song.

I would offer a discount on rent until its replaced, just to be cool and acknowledge its not as pretty as it will be. Maybe $50 bucks off. 

Thanks for the advice! This was my original thinking but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea or if people would be interested considering that work still needs to be done. Aside from the windows all else is livable. I think reducing the rent until it is fixed is a good idea too. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 9 2022, 14:29
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

It's winter so no need to open the windows, right? I'd just disclose and get a renter in there....

That would be good but some of the windows are stuck in an open position. If I manage to get them closed then this should be fine as heat and cooling have been replaced and work fine now. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 9 2022, 14:30
Quote from @Andy Sabisch:
I would look up builder supply houses and see if you can get windows to fit.  We had to replace some and found ones that worked with a little shimming and buildout for very little compared to custom windows and waiting.  

Depending on where you live, try these:

https://www.homeoutlet.com/

https://ilovedirtcheapbuilding...

Both have been helpful for what we have needed in past projects

Thank you for the suggestion. I already paid for the custom window replacement, but it might be worth to see if I could get a quicker replacement for some of the windows and save some money on the total cost. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 9 2022, 14:31
Quote from @Anthony McEvoy:

Hello @Nicholas Jackson - I was in the same position last year.  Unfortunately, the damage to two of the windows just did not make the place desirable.

Depending on the extent of the damage, you can still list it.  However, you should also think what it would take to replace the windows while there is a tenant in there.

Sorry to hear that. I feel this shouldn't be an uncommon thing as I am sure people get windows replaced all the time and to have to wait for 4 months for the replacement seems kind of extreme. I will try some work arounds to keep comfort that way I can still get a tenant in as soon as possible.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Nov 9 2022, 14:36
Quote from @Nicholas Jackson:
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

That would be good but some of the windows are stuck in an open position. If I manage to get them closed then this should be fine as heat and cooling have been replaced and work fine now. 

Just remove the trim and they will come right out (or down)....

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 10 2022, 04:37

@Nicholas Jackson

Just a word of caution. If the bedroom windows are boarded up that’s a building code violation when it’s occupied. I would try to fix the bedroom windows enough to get them to function so you don’t run into any problems. One other solution would be to buy cheap replacement windows for the bedrooms until your custom ones arrive.

Best of Luck.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 10 2022, 05:03
Quote from @Kenneth Garrett:

@Nicholas Jackson

Just a word of caution. If the bedroom windows are boarded up that’s a building code violation when it’s occupied. I would try to fix the bedroom windows enough to get them to function so you don’t run into any problems. One other solution would be to buy cheap replacement windows for the bedrooms until your custom ones arrive.

Best of Luck.

Luckily the current bedroom windows work fine. Do you know if its a violation for boarding up kitchen windows? 

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 10 2022, 05:16

@Nicholas Jackson

Best of Luck.

Luckily the current bedroom windows work fine. Do you know if its a violation for boarding up kitchen windows? 

If the kitchen has two points of egress you should be fine. Living room, basement, one functioning window, or combination, etc. 

Rant; 4 month wait time?! Windows are one of the biggest expenses ever and the variation of prices we received in the past is mind blowing. Probably my least favorite remodeling project. Unless you're doing the whole house I'd shop around and see if a local guy can replace the broken ones. Ohh looks like you paid something already. Hopefully the windows come in faster than 4 months. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Jackson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 10 2022, 05:39
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

@Nicholas Jackson

Best of Luck.

If the kitchen has two points of egress you should be fine. Living room, basement, one functioning window, or combination, etc. 

Rant; 4 month wait time?! Windows are one of the biggest expenses ever and the variation of prices we received in the past is mind blowing. Probably my least favorite remodeling project. Unless you're doing the whole house I'd shop around and see if a local guy can replace the broken ones. Ohh looks like you paid something already. Hopefully the windows come in faster than 4 months. 

Thanks this is helpful information. I only paid half upfront so could possibly cut the end price if I do find other windows. Something I should ask about

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 10 2022, 05:49
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

@Nicholas Jackson

Best of Luck.

The building code requires one exit from each house (multifamily is two).  Many jurisdictions have amended that to two exits.  So it depends on your jurisdiction.  Emergency Egress windows are required for each bedroom.  The egress is separate from emergency windows.  The code also addresses light and ventilation.  You don’t need to be worry about light, because you have artificial light.  Ventilation is a different calculation.  If we use common sense (which is always dangerous) closing off a kitchen window should not be a big deal under the premise your working towards compliance.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 10 2022, 05:56
Instead of boarding some of them up, you could silicon in some plexiglass panels so that natural light can come through. Just explain the temporary fix to potential tenants and even show them the new window invoice. You will more then pay for the plexiglass with potential lost rent.