Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Sam Taft
Votes |
Home renovations to increase value before sale

Sam Taft
Posted Nov 15 2022, 13:50

I’m going to be selling my condo sometime around next June (23) and was looking for advice on both what renovations to make and what order to make them. It’s small (799 sq ft) 2 bed 1 bath. I will be living in it up until the sale. There is some damage to the kitchen  cabinets so I would like to redo them, as well as out vinyl wood floors throughout the house, new appliances, give all the walls a fresh coat of paint, as well as redo the shower and vanity. Any advice would be appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied Nov 15 2022, 17:40
I would recommend seeing what other units in your condo are for sale and see what they look like in terms of finishes to gauge what you need to do to yours.  Pull up some older listings and see what the interior photos show.  You do not want to over improve but on the same token, you do not want to under improve and people avoid your unit because of finishes.  On a smaller unit, you can get a lot of pizazz for the buck and make buyers go WOW!

See if there are any contractors that your property has used on a regular basis (not sure if they have restrictions as some do) and get them to quote you on a kitchen and bath remodel . . . if they have done some other units they will now what it takes and what others have done quality-level wise.

You have some time to make sure you get a few quotes and design ideas but the kitchen and bath are the likely candidates.  Paint goes a long way as well.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Taft
Votes |
Replied Nov 15 2022, 18:07

Thanks for the reply. I also currently have tile floors. Would you recommend putting in wood floors? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied Nov 15 2022, 18:48
Quote from @Sam Taft:

Thanks for the reply. I also currently have tile floors. Would you recommend putting in wood floors? 

Not sure what the typical condo has in Hawaii but again, wee what other updated units have in them and go with what has been shown to work.  Tile in that area might not be a bad thing especially if it is in good condition.  Not sure I would go with wood in that climate.  A friend of mine lives near Honolulu and she said that you usually do not run the A/C due to the cost so if you get dampness on wood floors, tile or LVP would be a more durable option

User Stats

Votes
Michael Borger
Pro Member
  • Rehabber
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rehabber
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 16 2022, 19:41

I usually put LVP in all my Hawaii properties everywhere except the bathrooms, which get tile flooring.

User Stats

Votes
Cole Schlack
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Hawaii, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Hawaii, HI
Replied Nov 16 2022, 20:42
Quote from @Sam Taft:

I’m going to be selling my condo sometime around next June (23) and was looking for advice on both what renovations to make and what order to make them. It’s small (799 sq ft) 2 bed 1 bath. I will be living in it up until the sale. There is some damage to the kitchen  cabinets so I would like to redo them, as well as out vinyl wood floors throughout the house, new appliances, give all the walls a fresh coat of paint, as well as redo the shower and vanity. Any advice would be appreciated.

I dont know your budget, but I recommend a nice kitchen remodel, flooring, cabinets, countertops and paint.  HPM is a pretty good resource for reasonable cabinets and countertops.  White, Blk, Greys are still in and good colors

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 16 2022, 23:16

kitchen remodeling please and paint light color, it makes all the difference. no popcorn ceiling.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 17 2022, 07:04

Put money into the kitchen and bathrooms you're selling the home to the woman not the man

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Nov 17 2022, 07:25

"Stay away from grey it's out."  From a woman @Eliott Elias I'm stealing that you are selling the home to the woman not the man.

What color and texture is the tile floor now? Post an image so we can actually help. Maybe the floor is okay and only needs area rugs.

The kitchen is the most important in photos. What is in there now? Anything rusty or falling apart? 

You want to avoid shipping from outside of Hawaii to avoid missing pieces.

Go light in color, neutral, clean