Pro Member
  • Colorado
Votes |
Best Flooring Options

Deb Tarasiewicz
Pro Member
  • Colorado
Posted Nov 29 2022, 14:28

We are going to do some upgrades in a property that will be vacant as of Dec 1, 2022.  The flooring is mainly carpet with some luxury vinyl in the kitchen, dining room and entryway.  We are considering putting either luxury vinyl or laminate throughout.  Looking for any suggestions or knowledge on both types of flooring and the beneifts for both in rental properties.  Thanks in advance for any help.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Evans
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Mansfield, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Mansfield, OH
Replied Nov 29 2022, 15:14

I use snap together vinyl  strips. I find the busiest patterns so you can’t see scratches. It is also easy to install. Good luck 👍 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 29 2022, 20:47

Vinyl flooring throughout. Tenant proof and will last the longest 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Deb Tarasiewicz
Pro Member
  • Colorado
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Colorado
Replied Nov 30 2022, 07:07

Tom and Eliott thanks for your repsonses.  We were leaning toward the vinyl and this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Bohrer
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Dec 1 2022, 11:08

Vinyl all the way!  Lasts for 10-20 years, flexible, stain resistant, waterproof, zero maintenance.... I mean does it get any better than that!? 

User Stats

Votes
Deb Tarasiewicz
Pro Member
  • Colorado
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Colorado
Replied Dec 7 2022, 06:56

Thanks Brian!  

User Stats

Votes
Gaudys Rivas
  • MIAMI LAKES, FL
Votes |
  • MIAMI LAKES, FL
Replied Dec 7 2022, 07:05

Vinyl

User Stats

Votes
Jenell Poncabare
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Dec 7 2022, 07:08
Quote from @Deb Tarasiewicz:

We are going to do some upgrades in a property that will be vacant as of Dec 1, 2022.  The flooring is mainly carpet with some luxury vinyl in the kitchen, dining room and entryway.  We are considering putting either luxury vinyl or laminate throughout.  Looking for any suggestions or knowledge on both types of flooring and the beneifts for both in rental properties.  Thanks in advance for any help.

In rentals, we do LVP all the way. Laminate doesn't hold up as well especially when it comes to water spills or pet leaks :-)

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Normand
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Dec 8 2022, 06:49

LVP if you want to prioritize water resistance. Laminate if you want to prioritize scratch resistance or if you want a more realistic wood look.

Both are good all-around options, but have their pros and cons. LVP has the upper hand when it comes to moisture, but in my experience I've found that it scratches easier than laminate. It also has a kind of plastic-ish look and feel, which some people don't like. Laminate looks a little more like real wood and tends to be tougher against scratches. Some companies are  even selling "waterproof" laminates these days. I've heard good reviews but personally I would still be hesitant to install a wood based flooring product in a bathroom.

Whatever you do, stay away from the super cheap stuff. It's cheap for a reason.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 13 2022, 13:15

Thanks everyone, I am looking to use home equity to start doing the Brr method. I am more interested in anyone that has done this successfully in the past and what we're some hiccups or learning in your experience you may be able to pass on.

User Stats

Votes
Deb Tarasiewicz
Pro Member
  • Colorado
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Colorado
Replied Dec 14 2022, 06:52

Thank you for your replies to my question.  I think we are going to go with 20 mil LVT.  I appreciate the help!