• Rental Property Investor
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
Flooring for pier and beam house?

Jeremy H.
  • Lafayette, LA
Posted Jan 30 2023, 18:31

Is there a specific type of flooring you all like to use on a pier and beam house?

Tile - I'm sure would crack over time 

LVP - Seems there can be an issue with the moisture barrier. Sounds like the moisture barrier can trap water beneath the floor and the wood foundation 

Carpet - definitely not 

Wood - waterproof or engineered - may be the go to - slightly more expensive but would match the rest of the house

My other properties all have slabs - so I've traditionally gone with either LVP or stained cement. There's definitely a few things to learn with a pier and beam type house  

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Normand
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Jan 30 2023, 19:34

It's just a standard wood subfloor, is it not? Shouldn't be any different than flooring on a 2nd story, over a basement/crawlspace, etc. in which case any of those options can work.

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jan 30 2023, 20:20

Aloha,

Actually, depending on your location, you may have frequent movement of this type construction. We used to use commercial vinyl tile, however that definitely would flex and crack, sometimes in a short time. We now use Life Proof LVP and have not had issues with it. The key is that it floats, is not glued down, plus the longer lengths allows for more flex that so far seems trouble free. Been using it about 4 - 5 years.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 30 2023, 21:29

I keep the hardwood or LVP.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Jan 31 2023, 05:01
Quote from @Ryan Normand:

It's just a standard wood subfloor, is it not? Shouldn't be any different than flooring on a 2nd story, over a basement/crawlspace, etc. in which case any of those options can work.

The difference is that over a 2nd story there is no moisture beneath the flooring because the 1st floor ceiling is directly below you. Whereas on a pier and beam foundation you have the ground directly beneath the foundation. So there is a difference in the moisture content beneath the flooring. You don't want to trap this moisture beneath your floor and cause the wood foundation to rot

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Normand
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Jan 31 2023, 05:36
Quote from @Jeremy H.:
The difference is that over a 2nd story there is no moisture beneath the flooring because the 1st floor ceiling is directly below you. Whereas on a pier and beam foundation you have the ground directly beneath the foundation. So there is a difference in the moisture content beneath the flooring. You don't want to trap this moisture beneath your floor and cause the wood foundation to rot

Even if you're directly above the ground/crawlspace, your wooden subfloor (and joists for that matter) should not have a significant moisture content. If they do, they will rot, regardless of what flooring you place on top of them. 

I'll admit I'm not an expert on pier and beam (most AZ houses are slab on grade, too), but  if you're having moisture issues in the crawlspace you need to make sure it's either properly ventilated or sealed and dehumidified. If you have so much moisture down there that it's escaping through your wood subfloor and affecting your flooring choices, then you have too much moisture to begin with.