Votes
Joseph Morales
  • Investor
Votes |
Building Inspectors, Insurance and Permits

Joseph Morales
  • Investor
Posted Mar 23 2023, 13:01

I owned a house for 13 years. It needs a complete rehab. Down to the studs. New Insulation, Electrical System, and some framing issues need to be addressed. The foundation is solid.

I started in December and have been trying to get the work started. I asked the Building Inspector what I need to do to get the job done. He gives me a list. When I return with the list completed, he points out other things (that weren't on the list) that are missing. I get all that stuff taken care of, and return. I'm given another list. I'm not joking. Here's the story:

I asked the building inspector what I needed to get a permit. I was told, "The house is condemned. You need a letter from an architect stating that the house doesn't need to be torn down." So, I go even though the village never went through and actually condemned the house. After scheduling, and waiting for the letter to be drafted, I returned to the Building Inspector (2 weeks later).

The building inspector gives me a list that I now need architect plans, GC information (workers comp insurance, insurance), Electrical Certification to do work in my county, and a host of other things. The list has a section where it says the homeowner if doing the work myself, I don't need the workers comp insurance, I just need my homeowners insurance policy. So I return with everything on the list. (1 month later).

He sends me away again because my homeowners policy does not have $1,000,000 liability coverage. I asked him to take a look at the architect plans so that when I return with the updated policy he can issue the permit that day. The million dollar liability coverage was not a requirement for a home owner on the list he gave me (It was for a Contractor). I leave again. I called my insurance company and they need to give me an umbrella policy to cover the $1,000,000 liability. But, in order to do that I have to transfer my auto-insurance over to them. I did that.

I returned to the building inspector (Another week later). This time there was another person in the office. Apparently, she had more knowledge. She said that the million dollar coverage was not required as a home owner. But, since they did not have the insurance updated (it didn't need to be updated since it wasn't a requirement), they didn't even look at the plans. Today, being Thursday, and my paperwork was unfinished they'll get back to me the following week.

The following Tuesday (they're not in the office on Monday), I call and the permit is ready. Yay! 3 months and I finally get the permit. I go on vacation Friday. Still no work is going to be done for at least another 9 days. 

User Stats

Votes
Cliff Wallace
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:14

I have learned dealing with local authority houses is to ask for literature on everything they are telling you. It should all be written somewhere and be accessible to you. It can be frustrating dealing with some of those people. As soon as things start unwinding. I will ask when I can talk to a supervisor to have some things clarified. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Banks
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Jun 15 2023, 11:00

Congrats, Joseph, that's a big success! Best of luck. Where is the property?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes