Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes

Bulk Materials or Discounts for Flooring, Furniture & Cabinets

Tara Montgomery
Posted Apr 23 2023, 13:04

Hi I am rehabbing 2 houses and need bulk materials pricing. I know about the pro desk at Lowes & Home Depot already

but am posting to find out the least expensive place for bulk materials or discounts for Flooring, Furniture & Cabinets. The flooring needs to be LVP or LVT .

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Apr 23 2023, 13:19

@Tara Montgomery If you want to find bulk rate on materials Lowes and Home Depot "pro desk" isn't the place. 

I've played the material hunting game. If you're hiring out the work from my experience most contractors find better prices. They have better connections and know places to buy materials. I'd lean on there experience to deliver and install what materials you need. If not FB market place is full of great deals BUT you have to find, buy, and bring it to property. In our city there are returns, scratch and deal, and over stock supply stores. They sell the same materials the big box stores have for 40-50% off but it's in limited amounts. Once it's gone, it's gone. You need to measure and calculate sqft. for the job and see if they have enough. It's time consuming. 

Take that in mind when contractors give quotes. Best of luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Normand
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Arizona
Replied Apr 23 2023, 14:28

Honestly the big box stores are probably your best bet if you're just shopping for the best prices. I'd also add Floor and Decor to that list... I like their products and selection better than HD and Lowes and they come in at a similar price point.

Avoid the dirt cheap materials though. What you save on the initial purchase you'll quickly spend on additional install fees and having to tear it out 5 years from now. 

You can try local specialty stores/contractor supply houses if you want to, but contrary to popular belief they are NOT focused on offering better prices than the big box stores. They do offer better customer service, wider variety, and higher quality products. That's why contractors shop there. It's not always about the $$$.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied Apr 23 2023, 19:48
As others have already said, price does not equal quality and there is more to the product than just the cost of it.  You can find cheap but is it due to a discontinued run that you might find yourself a box short?  What about seconds that do not hold up like the product you thought you were buying or had blems that increased wastage?  

If you are buying the material and either installing it yourself or having someone do it, shopping price can shave a few dollars off the project cost but if you find a flooring contractor that will work with you on multiple properties, they can often find it cheaper than you can.

The surplus stores include your local Restore (we get a number of things from them and if there is more than one in your area, check them all out as the inventory is different), stores that carry closeouts (Ollies is one in our areas) and as has been mentioned, Facebook and Craiglist.

Bottom line is determine what your end goal is for the price versus total installation and see where you come out ahead

User Stats

Votes
Carlton B.
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Apr 24 2023, 10:09

I have been looking for bulk pricing as well and I'm starting to believe thats not a real thing. Usually if you find things cheaper it takes more time and effort. To be honest that effort could be spent else where not mention time and gas chasing after cheaper prices. For me Homedepot is best overall I exploit the Pro membership free delivery, the bid room, free tool rental, or pro dollars. With that said if you find something better please share!

User Stats

Votes
Tara Montgomery
Replied Apr 28 2023, 09:13

@Andy Sabisch Thanks so much for the suggestions I ended up finding flooring $2,000 under the least expensive flooring at Lowes/Home Depot  my lowest quote at the pro desk was approximately 6k and I ended up spending approximately 4k Thank you again !!