• Realtor
  • Killingly, CT
Votes |
Cash vs. Loan, Opinions?

Brooks Gagnon
  • Realtor
  • Killingly, CT
Posted Apr 28 2023, 06:03

Looking for some thoughts on buying a flip using your own cash, versus getting a hard money loan. What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages of both, and which would you likely prefer to use. Personally, I have always been a fan of using OPM (other people's money), but is it worth the added expense if you have plenty of cash to fund it yourself? Would love to know what everyone thinks!

User Stats

Votes
Konstantin Ginzburg
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 28 2023, 06:14

If given the option between hard money and self-funding; I would choose to self fund. A fix and flip is generally a short term project where you ideally get your cash back when the property sells within a few months so your capital isn't tied up for a long time. A hard money loan is also typically viewed as a short term financing that should be paid back sooner rather than later due to either short amortization periods or high interest rates. Using short term financing to do a short term project would just add on one more item to your expense column in terms of financing fees and interest payments. If you have something you may need that capital for while you are doing a fix and flip, then I might consider a loan to keep personal capital in reserve but if you don't see yourself needing that capital before you sell the property than I think self-funding is the better option personally. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Ray Hage#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Apr 28 2023, 06:21

If you have enough to self-fund, I would go that route assuming you have enough cash on hand for other expenses that could come like a car issue, health issue, etc. Let's say you have 200k in the bank and the total you'll need to invest is 150k on a fix and flip SFH. You might as well do it if the deal makes sense.

If it is a much bigger project, you could do a hard money loan if the finances make sense but HM is very expensive so why bother unless this much bigger property/deal is worth the added expenses? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 28 2023, 06:27
Quote from @Brooks Gagnon:

Looking for some thoughts on buying a flip using your own cash, versus getting a hard money loan. What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages of both, and which would you likely prefer to use. Personally, I have always been a fan of using OPM (other people's money), but is it worth the added expense if you have plenty of cash to fund it yourself? Would love to know what everyone thinks!

Cash is king, NOT HM. You will get a better deal cash as is , close in two weeks, All my deals are just that, cash as is, NEVER any contingency. This is why I get fantastic deals. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Apr 28 2023, 07:54

I've done both, and using your own cash is way better. The only downside is that it's tough to scale your business this way (unless of course you've got millions of cash sitting around to work with)

Cash is better because you'll probably be able to get a better deal when you buy. You won't have to deal with making a big interest payment every month. You won't have to deal with the very annoying draw process 5+ times throughout your remodel. And you'll save thousands in interest (hard money rates are around 12% right now).

User Stats

Votes
Darius Ogloza
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Replied Apr 29 2023, 05:19

We use a hybrid financing model as our investments require outlays in the range of $1.5 to $3 million.  We use hard money to finance and close the purchase of the property but self-fund the repairs which gives us greater stability/control over the timing of the repair process.  If we were doing smaller deals, we would use cash.

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Apr 30 2023, 13:02

It all depends on how much cash you have.  If you're sitting on 300K and you find a property you can buy for 275K, finance it.  If you're sitting on 3M and you find a property for 275K, buy it, renovate it and sell it to do it again. 

User Stats

Votes
Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 30 2023, 13:48

Leveraging the loan is one of the smartest strategies for creating wealth. I highly recommend reading about LBO (Leveraged Buyout), especially how to use it in real estate. If you're interested, I can elaborate more.

User Stats

Votes
Brooks Gagnon
  • Realtor
  • Killingly, CT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Killingly, CT
Replied Apr 30 2023, 14:15
Quote from @Mostafa Faghih:

Leveraging the loan is one of the smartest strategies for creating wealth. I highly recommend reading about LBO (Leveraged Buyout), especially how to use it in real estate. If you're interested, I can elaborate more.

Could you? I’m not familiar with leveraged buyouts. 

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied May 2 2023, 13:00

@Brooks Gagnon, as others seem to mention: cash is clearly less risky and since you have it sitting liquid, the implied nature is you don't have anywhere else to put it, anyways. Given bank loans are in the 6% range now, you are automatically earning 6%+fees (not great, not bad) on that capital. And if the alternative was a HML where you are paying fees + 12%, you are earning a lot more on your money.

As others noted, this implies you have a healthy cushion.  I.e. if purchase is $150k, and rehab budget is $150k, I would want to have at least $350k available, as it is not too hard to blow through $50k on a major renovation.

If you are just getting into flipping, I highly recommend you use cash.  You are already taking a lot of risk with a flip, on the front end, why add to the stresses by having a recurring bill you need to pay each month, if/when the timeline ticks past the projected timeline, and further eats into your true profits.

User Stats

Votes
Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 2 2023, 14:04
Quote from @Mostafa Faghih:

Could you? I’m not familiar with leveraged buyouts. 

Sure, here's an example of an LBO in buying a company:

Let's say an investor wants to acquire a company that has a value of $10 million. Instead of using their own cash to purchase the company outright, the investor decides to use debt financing to fund the acquisition. They secure a loan for $7 million at an interest rate of 5% per year and use $3 million of their own cash as equity to acquire the company.

Over the next few years, the investor works to improve the company's operations and increase its value. If the investor is successful in growing the company's value to $15 million, they can sell the company and pay off the loan, keeping the profit as their return on investment. Assuming a sale price of $15 million, the investor would pay off the $7 million loan, leaving them with $8 million. After subtracting their initial investment of $3 million, the investor would have made a profit of $5 million or a return of 166% on their original investment.

In short-term rental investments specifically, leverage can be particularly advantageous, as short-term rentals tend to generate higher cash flow and more stable income. However, leveraging comes with risks, such as the potential for the property not generating enough income to cover loan payments or becoming unmanageable in the event of rising interest rates or a market downturn.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 2 2023, 14:14

Cash always, you will get a better deal when you buy. So no interest and a better price point, win win

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied May 3 2023, 12:02

@Brooks Gagnon- thanks -  great  question and lots of  differing opinions ....I think this  depends on  several variables  1) plans for the future ...buying more ...needing to rehab  etc ....2) ROR on the  funds  you can park somewhere   3)   hard money  pricing / cost / rate and  duration .....in general - as  hard money loans are normally short term loans - I would prob recomend using your own funds to get the  deal in place and then  either  refinance it  to replenish the funds  or sell the  proeprty for a gain ......if you  are able to  carry the  financing longer term   or get  more conventional financing - using OPM  might be a  better  choice - good luck

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Hatton
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Replied May 3 2023, 12:02

If you are taking on one project at a time and have plenty of liquidity to not only cover closing and rehab, but also rehab contingency for unexpected expenses - go that route. Bring in a hml when you're ready to take on multiple projects at once and scale. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Bekeza
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 3 2023, 14:28

In general, you'll make more profit per deal going all cash based on the lack of interest payments and closing costs.  However, theoretically, using competitive high leverage hard money would allow you to execute more flips or BRRRRs per year.  Slightly less overall profit PER deal but way more deals. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 3 2023, 16:24

you know when someone said "using other people money", in theory it's "other people cash-flowing while you have to produce your return", right ? :-) LOL....

so no, OPM is bad concept. 

regarding buying flip with cash, it depends, if you have the cash go for it, if you can use conventional loan go with that. There's no such thing as other people money, if you use my money, you still have to produce while I'm using your energy to give me money LOL I am the one that's cash flowing here.