Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Jasper Li
Votes |
Los Angeles - Old Home How to Find Old Permits

Jasper Li
Posted May 3 2023, 20:44

I am in escrow on a duplex built in the 1920's in Los Angeles. There's an additional room that looks like its either part of the garage or an addition. I've looked online for old permits but the only thing I can find is a record from when it was built. But that doesn't have any information on it. Anyone have any ideas on how I can figure out what's exactly permitted if the records are too old to tell? 

User Stats

Votes
Jonn Vidal
  • Bel Air, CA
Votes |
  • Bel Air, CA
Replied May 3 2023, 21:09

had similar issue where i minus the suspected 'extra' room upstairs' square footage from total taped and then i got the sf from tax roll!

been told generally if cant find a permit for the change nor old blueprints/plans confirming it did change, it gets called nonconforming but ask a planning dept!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 4 2023, 03:31

Call the city permitting center. They may not keep records that old, but it’s worth a shot. Ask the owner if they have the paperwork.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Paul Dashevsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied May 4 2023, 10:53

Go to the city's building department; they have a permit records desk. In Van Nuys or Downtown LA. Ask for building permits AND certificate of occupancy. They may or may not have records that go back to the 1920's.