Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Logan Padilla
Votes |
Where to look for private funding?

Logan Padilla
Posted May 22 2023, 13:28

I'm a new real estate agent in Virginia and wanting to get into flipping distressed properties. I'm watching insane deals and opportunities slip through my fingertips because I lack the available funds to buy these $50,000-$150,000 properties requiring $20,000-$60,000 in repairs. I'm excited and would love to have a private money lender on speed dial to call that trusts me but again, being new I totally get the liability. Any recommendations on how to get this ball rolling as far as the financing side? I have decent equity on my home and a small chunk of change but not enough to cover the scope of work and projects I had in mind. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 22 2023, 13:39
Quote from @Logan Padilla:

I'm a new real estate agent in Virginia and wanting to get into flipping distressed properties. I'm watching insane deals and opportunities slip through my fingertips because I lack the available funds to buy these $50,000-$150,000 properties requiring $20,000-$60,000 in repairs. I'm excited and would love to have a private money lender on speed dial to call that trusts me but again, being new I totally get the liability. Any recommendations on how to get this ball rolling as far as the financing side? I have decent equity on my home and a small chunk of change but not enough to cover the scope of work and projects I had in mind. 

Nobody is going to loan you money,(  well maybe 50% )  you have zero experience. So find deals, show them to someone doing deals, you will earn a fee, Save, learn then go on your own. Before you know it, you will he doing them all yourself

Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied May 22 2023, 14:16
As Bob mentioned, you need experience to get the credibility regardless of what the YouTube and Facebook gurus claim.  Sure you can go to friends and family but to be honest, hitting them up and hoping the deal goes as planned the first time out of the gate is not a risk I was willing to take.  If something went wring (reno costs, holding time, eventual sales price, etc.), you would either stiff them or eat the loss.  Can that work . . maybe but would you lend the funds to a friend or family member with no experience?

The HML option is there but be prepared to factor in the holding costs.  They are more interested in the deal than your track record although that will play a factor in the terms.

Is there a REIG in the area that you might see if there is someone that would be willing to pay you a finders fee and allow you to work with them to get credibility on a completed project.  That will get you into the process without the risk and you will learn a lot on that deal.

A few options to consider
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 22 2023, 15:50

@Logan Padilla

Do you have a down payment of 25-30%? Is so then you could get a lender if not then use your license to sell them and collect the $ until you save enough to do it yourself

User Stats

Votes
Romney Salanoa
  • New to Real Estate
  • Salt Lake County, UT
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Salt Lake County, UT
Replied May 22 2023, 16:00

Hi Logan,

If you feel like you are ready or even if you aren't I would start attending REI meetups in your area to hopefully get a mentor or even possibly a partner for these deals that can show you the ropes while giving you the extra money you would need to fund these opportunities.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 23 2023, 03:40

Real estate meet ups, family members, colleagues.