• Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
First Flip - Organizational Tools Recommendations

John Seitz
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Posted Mar 2 2024, 11:06

FINALLY bought my first property (well, it's under contract, so no cigars just yet). I am looking for any recommendations on tools flippers might use to track work, expenses, their sanity, etc. I will be doing a lot of the work myself so any project management tools recommendations would be great too. Additionally, any recommendations on prioritizing things, eg. First, apply for permits, secondly ... would be helpful. Thanks guys. Happy flipping to all.

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 2 2024, 13:36

Hi John,

How many more do you plan this year and what is your budget? For free softwares, Google spreadsheet/docs, Trello and Notion would work well. For paid softwares, it depends on the scale of your investments. Monday.com, Asana, REI/kit, Flipperforce are some examples.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 07:19
Quote from @John Seitz:

FINALLY bought my first property (well, it's under contract, so no cigars just yet). I am looking for any recommendations on tools flippers might use to track work, expenses, their sanity, etc. I will be doing a lot of the work myself so any project management tools recommendations would be great too. Additionally, any recommendations on prioritizing things, eg. First, apply for permits, secondly ... would be helpful. Thanks guys. Happy flipping to all.

Google Sheets and Quickbooks are going to be your best option

• Real Estate Agent Ca (#01968986)

The McKernan Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Ayars
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 4 2024, 14:53

@John Seitz Congratulations on your first flip-investment property! I have always been of the opinion that the first line of defense of a home is the exterior... Roof, foundation, siding and windows. Once those are taken care of, you can work on the interior. Be sure that the plumbing and electrical are all good before replacing walls or ceilings or you could have serious trouble and expenses down the line.

Regarding finances: I have used QuickBooks Desktop version (saves a lot of money but does not get the constant updates) for five years. It works for me for two businesses simultaneously. I am pretty sure it will allow up to five total. I also use Excel a lot (for this I have MS 365).

Whatever you decide to use, if you are consistent, you will learn how it best suits you. Just because a program has a lot of bells & whistles does not mean that it is the right program for you.