Value of Adding 3rd bedroom to rental property flip

5 Replies

We are looking to flip a single family home in Livermore, CA  It is currently a 2/1 rental property.  We have the opportunity to add a 3rd bedroom, but don't know how to determine the valueadd to potential investor.  As a 2/1, the property currently rents for $1450.  The post reno rent would be $1800 (as a 2/1).  As a 3/1, the rent should jump to $2200-$2300.  Is there a rule of thumb/formula for calculating what the additional bedroom will add to the sale price?

I would look at the area's comps. I can tell you every market is different. In our market 3bedroom starts at $1400 and a 4 bedroom starts at $1600 just based on watching the house prices. We don't have 2 bedrooms in the neighborhoods I look at. Are you adding square foot or just "rooms". Make sure you look at that too.

@Debbie Olsen I am curious why are you looking to market a single family flip to an investor? If your target is to flip property to investor he/she will be looking to make there money going in, this means they will want to buy at a discount. Just because the property you are buying is currently a rental property does not mean you should keep a rental property by marketing it for an investor. I suggest you find the ARV and sell to a homeowner at fair market value, creating win/win for all parties and increasing your profit.

Thanks Elizabeth.  We are always looking at comps.  We'd be adding square footage by enclosing a breezeway; then we need to redo the floor plan.

Shawn,  We're looking at marketing the property to homebuyers as well as investors.  The market has slowed down, so we'll make a lowball offer and see what happens.

In general, a 3 BDRM is WAAAAAAAAAY more marketable and attractive to buyers than a 2 BDRM. If you can make the numbers work, I bet you'll get great ROI from the addition.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here