Staging for a flip house in Charlotte NC area

10 Replies

Anyone have any luck using a staging company for a flip. I have a home that will be hitting the market before the end of the year. Curious if people think it is worth it, how much does it cost and any suggestions of companies in the Charlotte, NC area. 

I would say call around and get quotes to keep them honest as with contractors every ones not fair in pricing work... Are you rehabbing in a high end area? First time home buyer price point? I would stage in the high areas personally....

house will go on the market for $250k

We stage if the price is $300K or more.  If you are in a neighborhood that has a lot of homes for sale under 300K price point then it may set you apart from the rest.

We have items that we have collected over the years that we use for staging.  There are companies that stage, however they charge by room and can be expensive.

We rarely use stagers. The Charlotte market has been so good we haven't needed to. Personally I agree with @David Chwaszczewski don't even consider unless 300k and up. That being said if you need a referral message me. I can give you a good name. 

I have done dozens of flips over the years, but have never staged them. I let the rooms speak for themselves but put new mini blinds on all the windows. I've never cleared less than 25% profit and always get my ask. My investors are happy, I'm happy AND the new buyers get a great deal...never saw the need to move furniture in and out of a newly finished space - let the buyers ding their own walls.

Of the 100+ rehabs we've done, I can count on one hand the number of properties we haven't staged.  And those few were mostly properties that we put under contract prior to finishing the rehab.

I don't have any quantitative data to back up my hypothesis, but empirical data indicates to me that staging won't necessarily get you a higher contract price, but will do a few things:

1.  Get you a faster contract

2.  Get your appraisals higher

3.  Keep your buyers from backing out during the transaction (the reason for this being that buyers often like to bring friends/family through their prospective property to get feedback -- better looking houses will raise fewer red flags with friends/family)

If you have a house that doesn't have clearly defined spaces or a house that has some functional drawbacks, staging makes even more of a difference.

J Scott can you share some typical costs for staging 

Originally posted by @David Glass :

J Scott can you share some typical costs for staging 

Historically, we've purchased our own furniture, and haven't hired stagers...

But, we've recently used stagers in two different states, so I have a reasonable baseline for what it should cost.  I would typically expect to pay between $1200-2000 for 90 days worth of staging for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house.  This would include furniture for every room, pictures, accessories, etc. -- including kitchen and bathrooms.

If you shop around, you can probably purchase a house full of staging materials for about $2500-3000 -- but you'll need to do the work yourself and move it from house to house.

thanks I appreciate he advice

Originally posted by @David Glass :

Anyone have any luck using a staging company for a flip. I have a home that will be hitting the market before the end of the year. Curious if people think it is worth it, how much does it cost and any suggestions of companies in the Charlotte, NC area.