Need some help redesigning this room for a flip

15 Replies

I just picked up a house to flip and I'm not sure what to do with a design issue.  Below you can see a short wall from the front and the back.  The obvious thing to do is to simply remove the wall and that would give an open feel as you enter the house.  However, there is some very nice engineered hardwood throughout the house.  So if the wall comes down it is going to screw-up the floors,  and I would probably end up having to redo the floors in the entire house or at least in the living room, dining room, kitchen and hallway.  

Anybody have any (cheap) ideas to get rid of this wall without messing up the floor?

Thanks!

Take out the top part and put some cabinets on one side to make a decorative and functional area. That way you'll still get the effort of open concept but add functionality without impacting the floor.

@Cal C. Boy that is ugly.  You're probably thinking about taking out that wall.  But then you'd have a mess with the floor and ceiling.  Close up the opening in the wall, at least,  and consider bumping it out on one side or the other to make a closet with bi-fold doors.  It'll provide better separation and space and likely some desirable storage space.  Plus you won't have to do anything with the ceiling or floor.

Also, paint the trim around those windows white--that side door too, or replace it.  And consider some sconce lights or other ways to brighten the room.  Last, whenever you have an unusual space, think about bringing in someone to stage the room to show how charming it can be.

Make sure it isn't structural first. Whenever there's a wall in a totally inexplicable location, I wonder what else is going on there...

Wow, that certainly is an 'interesting' feature there...my first viable thought would be to use another shade of wood and make it look purposeful. Outline a square for a landing area. Reflect the color you use somewhere else in the house, maybe stain the brown doors or trim the same color. The dark brown isn't great anyways.

@Aaron McGinnis

Once I thought it through a bit more I realized that it might be structural.  Probably would have been obvious if I had actually been to the property...

Anyway, I think the thing to do is to put up two decorative (structural?) posts with a very low wall between the two.  I kind of like @Rodney Marcantel idea of putting some cabinets there also.  

@Larry T I agree with you about staging being able to make an unusual space or feature palatable.  @J Scott wife Carol has done some amazing things for me in that regards, but fortunately these houses sell pretty well without staging.  Closing up the wall would take away from the open feeling which IMHO is huge selling point.    

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  

Is there a closet somewhere with the same flooring where you could "borrow" some pieces and then just carpet over the closet?  Pulling up some pieces and then repositioning them so that it doesn't look patched, together with some closet pieces, might do the trick.

Otherwise, I would pull up a bunch of the flooring right at the entrance and tile it in order to make it more weather proof, although much of the laminate flooring these days is very hardy and weatherproof already.

Check out houzz.com

If anybody wants to get themselves occupied/inspired on a site other than Bigger Pockets.

Originally posted by @Linda Weygant :

Is there a closet somewhere with the same flooring where you could "borrow" some pieces and then just carpet over the closet?  Pulling up some pieces and then repositioning them so that it doesn't look patched, together with some closet pieces, might do the trick.

Otherwise, I would pull up a bunch of the flooring right at the entrance and tile it in order to make it more weather proof, although much of the laminate flooring these days is very hardy and weatherproof already.

Tiling this area might work depending on the room dimensions, may try that if it is not too big and if there are no structural issues.  However, that might lead to a ceiling problem as @Larry T alluded to.   

@Cal C.

That is quite a design quandary. That wall seriously makes no sense. I like @Larry T. ideas, however why couldn't you just take out the wall and piece in the flooring where the wall used to be? I've seen it done before with hardwood and I don't think it would be that difficult. Or is it because it is engineered that you are afraid it would be hard to match.I don't know I feel like that is such a small area to replace it would be doable. But I could be wrong. 

Can't wait to see the "after" photo!

Nicole Pettis

I actually think it is a nice feature and would place a narrow entry table (google narrow entry table) against the wall when you walk in.

Not sure what the rest of the large room looks like but it seems the wall creates a space for a sofa or love seat against the wall without exposing the back to the entry door.

For the opening you could look for a framed piece of stained or art glass and suspend it from wires top and bottom if you don't like the open look. Another option is to top the opening with a piece of granite and add a few plants to the opening or fill in the opening with something like the picture below.

@Cal C.

Saw this older post...curious to see what you did!!

Originally posted by @Mary lou L. :

@Cal C.

Saw this older post...curious to see what you did!!

We ended up tiling from the front door to where we took out the wall.  I can't remember what we did exactly to the ceiling, but it turned out alright.  Fortunately, the wall wasn't a structural requirement.  

I ended up selling this to another investor.  I made a nice profit, but could have made more if I had waited.  But, there was a temporary lull in buying activity and I had other properties sitting.  Bird in hand....   

Here is a picture.  

I would have made it a feature wall with bold accent color and some floating glass panels to fill in to the opening.   The lattice idea would have looked nice as well suggested by someone.   This would have gave a "Wow Factor" to when people walk into the house.

Originally posted by @Jim Adrian :

I would have made it a feature wall with bold accent color and some floating glass panels to fill in to the opening.   The lattice idea would have looked nice as well suggested by someone.   This would have gave a "Wow Factor" to when people walk into the house.

If this was a higher price point home and/or a larger home I'd have done something like that, but this was a starter home.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.