​JV Partnership Equity Split using both debt and equity?

1 Reply

Thank you in advance! This is my first time setting investing in a JV for an investment in a flip.

I have a friend (developer) that fixes and flips homes and he’s in need of cash/capital to continue to grow flip homes. His time frame is about 4 months and he’s pitching the following deal to me:

-Purchase/closing, construction and holding cost = $375,000 (this is the amount of funding needed for the entire deal before the sale)

-The developer will take out a hard-money loan against the home for $300,000 (first mortgage/lien)

-I will invest $75,000 for the remaining amount needed to complete the deal

-The developer will put up 0 of cash and will provide be responsible for the purchase, construction and sale of the property

What would a fair equity for the profits? I will be a passive investor and investing $75,000 of the $375,000 required for the deal, although $300,000 will come from debt against the home. Should the developer count the $300,000 as equity invested from his side because he’s getting the loan against the fixer-upper he found?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

--John--

You are basically just another hard money lender which most are receiving 20% return. $75,000 is 20% of $375,000 so it's really an even split. Since you are passive in this you can stay at 20% but contingent that if a deadline is not met for your return you can take over the project and hopefully break even.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.