Kitchen cabinet under-lights?

14 Replies

I'm coming close to completing my first big flip.  3,600 SF house in Nevada City, CA.  Target $640k sale price.  This section of the kitchen is a little dark, I was thinking it might make sense to but kitchen cabinet under-lighting, it would be easy enough to wire, and would help make the granite pop.  Don't want it to look cheesy though, any opinions on what would work best?

Originally posted by @John D. :

I'm coming close to completing my first big flip.  3,600 SF house in Nevada City, CA.  Target $640k sale price.  This section of the kitchen is a little dark, I was thinking it might make sense to but kitchen cabinet under-lighting, it would be easy enough to wire, and would help make the granite pop.  Don't want it to look cheesy though, any opinions on what would work best?

John it looks great,  I sold well over 600 New homes back in the day pre 2007 and would recommend you add a cap on the bottom edge of the upper cabinets.  It really defines the edge very well and hides the lighting that you should defiantly install.  The molding should be under $3.50 per foot and will give you the POP your looking for.

Thanks @Jim Keller these were from rtacabinetstore.com I'll give them a shout and see if they have the cap or something that would work in that capacity.  What would you recommend for the actual cabinet undermount lighting?  I see a few options (led, rope, led rope, halogen, led puck, dimmable v. not, etc.)

With no back splash I think a single tube 12" incandescent lite would be best, 2 of them would be soft enough to just put a muted light on the wall and granite, and be a nice night lite.  A 3 way switch would be preferred.  Hope it works,  your lucky to have such fine details to work to.  My projects are small homes mainly for first time or first time move up buyers.  Lights under the cabinets are still 2 moves away for them.  

Do you think you could sell this home without them?  Just a thought

Good luck 

There will be a backsplash, just trying to get the final done first, and we're delaying any work that might slow that down.

I don't think a florescent will be modern enough.  If the kitchen is dark I would also take a look at what kind of all over or center lighting you are using.  Many people underlight a kitchen when it should be very well lit.

I use 120v LED light strips of varying lengths. It provides a lot more light compared to conventional lighting but without heat (& the buzz of fluorescent). I wire it directly to an outlet BEFORE I added the backsplashes etc. The switches are also low profile & easy to hide.

http://www.lumilum.com/collections/120v-led-strip-lights?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CKWOue3slscCFYyRHwodJ_YHxQ

Definitely install the lighting on a dimmer switch.

install this

Originally posted by @George P. :

install this

Only if it is the kind that you can synchronize to whatever is playing on your sound system.

Originally posted by @Richard C. :
Originally posted by @George P.:

install this

Only if it is the kind that you can synchronize to whatever is playing on your sound system.

not sure what you mean. this is the most modern look you can get these days - led light strips. you can cut them with scissors to any length you want right on the spot. 

Did you see the OP's picture of his quite tasteful Modern Traditional style kitchen?

Originally posted by @Richard C. :

Did you see the OP's picture of his quite tasteful Modern Traditional style kitchen?

yes. and do you know that you can make these led lights any color you wish? u want white? no problem. u want green? no problem.

John D.

The moulding is called light rail and comes in a variety of styles. I'd use a few nice puck lights where you can control the amount of space between them for the lighting effect you like best. The ones at big box depots also have an in-line tap, tap, tap dimmer switch so all you need is a hidden outlet to plug into - less wiring. Also, it hides the switch under the cabinets right where the light is needed for when the light is needed. If it's just that smallish area next to the oven, that might solve your dark issue simply. Good luck.

@Dan Stevenson

Thanks, I will order the light rail and pick up some puck lights, yes it's just for that small stretch of cabs on the left.

@George P.

Even in white, I'm not sure if that's going to match the look we are going for, but they are a good fit for the project I am looking at starting down in Palm Springs with a more modern feel.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.