Votes |
My first big / higher end flip

John D.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • La Quinta, CA
Posted Oct 12 2015, 21:48

Hi BP!

After doing a number of remodels/rehabs on rental houses over the last 18 month or so, I decided to embark on my first BIG FLIP.  With purchase prices increasing way faster then rental prices, I thought I'd try a change of tactics as compared to my usual rehab-and-rent properties of which I'd done 6 of over the last year or so.

I bought 11532 Via Vista for $320k.  While it was an auction property via Homesearch.com, I was still able to get a conventional financing in time to close on the auction timeline.  Kudos to my #1 realtor Edie, my lenders OMG, and their appraisers at Epic for both getting things done fast, and helping stall when appropriate!

Having never undertaken a project of this size or scope, I was unsure of who to usefor the work.  My previous crews were better suited to smaller cosmetic rehabs that did not require permits.  Luckily my realtor let me know one of the agents in her office and her husband (who is a great contractor) were bidding against me.  They were excited to take the contracting job, as was I since I knew they were intimately familiar with the project.

Foward 5 months or so, and the rehab is nearly complete and the property is on the market. We are still waiting for the deck to be replaced and new garage doors installed (and I'm really kicking myself for letting that part of the project lag).  The primary work on the house completed a few weeks ago.

You can see the before pictures and appraisal here: 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/files/992/download

You can see the after pictures here:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1...

I spent $320k purchase price, $130k or so on rehab (haven't run the final numbers) and expect to have $60k or so in quiet costs (loan, mortgage, realtor, closing, etc. costs).  I expect about $100k in profit of which I will share 10% of with my contractor and his wife (who helped me a ton with deisgn, finishes, etc).

In the end, I should have gotten the project done much faster, and possibly a bit cheaper, but in choosing a contractor who did almost all of the work himself and who was intimately familiar with the project, was able to take the lazy way out and not fully scope the work or project upfront.  I had a number of other real estate projects going at the time, and the ability to put someone in I trusted to make the right decisions was worth it to me at the time, even if it meant the project took an extra month or two.

In the future, I'm looking forward to doing a full scope of work and getting these projects done faster.  For now, fingers crossed I don't have to sit on this one too long.  Given this is a higher priced property in the area, I expect 60-90 days on market.  I think it's competitively priced, but given a somewhat rural market it's hard to estimate how long it will take to sell.

Loading replies...