• Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Rehab or Sell

Nicole Sorensen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Oct 23 2015, 16:48

I've been analyzing this darn property for months now and I just don't know what to do with it. My family owns it free and clear and we currently rent it for $1,200 a month, which is a steal in the Seattle market place. 

It's never been updated and needs about $20K worth of foundation/structural work. It's looking tired inside and has knob and tube wiring, asbestos lined heat ducts (gravity heat), original plumbing, it needs a new roof and windows soon and some siding work and a paint job. Not to mention all of the cosmetic work, etc. 

Built in 1919, it has about 1,200 livable SF but if it were re-habbed closer to 2,700. 

If we sold today, I predict we'd get between $350K and $450K as-is. Estimate to re-hab is $300K, estimate to tear down is $600K. 

It's possible I could get $850-$900K when done. 

Should I sell as-is, rehab and sell, rent as-is, rehab and re-rent? I look at the comps and they're all over in this neighborhood - this home also sits on an arterial. 

Thanks for any help - I'd be curious to know what others would do in the same situation. 

Loading replies...