Votes
Thomas Ince
  • Leander, TX
Votes |
Thoughts on improving the exterior of this 4-plex

Thomas Ince
  • Leander, TX
Posted Mar 8 2016, 22:24

Any ideas on what to do to improve the curb appeal of this 4-plex.  If you have any rehab projects similar to this one, please feel free to post them.  

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hanneman
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Coeur d'Alene, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Coeur d'Alene, ID
Replied Mar 9 2016, 02:16

Paint!!!!   A color change alone would make a huge difference. Plus it would be the cheapest and easiest way too.

Then some low maintainence land scaping.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Lovell
  • Vendor
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Mar 9 2016, 03:22

How about a quick pergola on either side of the front entry roof. That could provide a little shade and a new look as well. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Manuel Gonzalez
  • Lake Jackson, TX
Votes |
  • Lake Jackson, TX
Replied Mar 9 2016, 04:07

That 4 plex looks just like mine 700sf a unit. I think a  tan color  white or darker trim and very  dark window screens  custom  build them  where their is window units

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Hiscoe
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Replied Mar 9 2016, 04:15

I follow an architect here on BP, @Jim Adrian and he usually has some creative and practical ideas for boosting curb appeal.

Adding to what @Mike Hanneman advised, I don't think splitting the paint horizontally into two tones is serving any helpful purpose.  It's actually making the windows on the first and second floor look as if they have different dimensions so now the building appears to have four window sizes vs two.  My opinion would be to have a base colour overall and use a complimentary or contrasting colour to highlight trim (adding some trim - Jim might have some ideas on where and what - will definitively give your building more presence.

The entrance looks quite flimsy and cheap so could probably do with some beefing up of the supports to become more welcoming.  Are there lights?  Best to widen the sidewalk leading up to it as well, even if it's just rocks or bricks added to each side of it.  The symmetry of the building is quite apparent so I'd capitalize on that, especially with any landscaping you'll be adding - if you put it on the left side, put it on the right too.  Try to stay away from adding a row of similarly sized and shaped shrubs along the foundation - it's already quite boxy so you want to use landscaping to create a little visual interest with heights, shapes and colours.  Don't block any windows but you could put, moving from doorway outwards - maybe a tall thin hedging evergreen on each side of door (could be in large pots), maybe some day lilies against the wall under the windows fronted by ground cover azaleas, climbing vines between the windows, a low growing (3') shrub with variegated foliage under the smaller windows and something like a pampas grass or butterfly bush at opposite ends of the building.  You could center a small flowering tree in the yard on each side of the sidewalk for a little depth as well. Just examples.  I'm not familiar with your climate.  But any plant store can give you recommendations of things on sale with the right shapes and sizes. Dig holes bigger than you think you need and spend as much money on soil as you do the plant because it doesn't look like the yard is particularly lush and fertile.  Buy what's inexpensive and common in your area but plant it well and after watering it for the first couple of months,  it'll be low maintenance but look classy.

But if nothing else, paint a nice neutral colour, create a more substantial entrance, and put a pot with low maintenance plant/s on either side of door.  Just that will make a big difference.

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Ciesielski
  • Realtor
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Mar 9 2016, 04:40

I really like Valerie Hiscoe's  suggestions!   I also agree about the single color building re-paint, but would also suggest the addition of exterior faux window casings to add additional architectural interest.  Because of the square, boxy, somewhat minimalist  design of the building, I would choose a simple squarish design such as Craftsman.   Painting the building a darker grey with a crisp white trim would really give it a new look.  Also, that wrought iron could be wrapped in wood columns so that the porch roof doesn't look like its floating.

I also find Pinterest to be a great resource for exterior house ideas.  Here's a link to an exterior window trim page from one member....

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/outdoor-window-t...

User Stats

Votes
Mags S.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phila, Pa
Votes |
  • Phila, Pa
Replied Mar 9 2016, 05:35

There's a 30 yr experienced colleague I know that has an armchair service providing exactly what you are looking for.  Landscape architect uses photos and Google earth to put together a plan for you. Nominal cost. PM me if interested. 

User Stats

Votes
Yamini M.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Johns Creek GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Johns Creek GA
Replied Mar 9 2016, 06:35

Hi There, Architect here!

Here is what I will suggest you to do. 10 things for this Little home that will make it Shine, I love the lines of this  house already!

1. One color for the whole place - Choose a nice warm tone, but also see what iis the trend in the neighborhood

2. I'd suggest you paint all trim white.

3 Main door to get a nice red, black or a blue, to give the entrance a nice pop. But make sure it goes with your base color. Make sure you use some trim on the door to give it a nice heavy look. If you can get a good deal on the main door, id probably change

that too.

4. Bring in Shutters for your windows - you could also buy these from a place where they have old building material for sale or you could hire a handyman to make it for you.

5. I would raise the height of the porch, bring in new columns to support new porch

6. Mow and Edge Lawn, get rid of wees in Side walk joints.

7. Replace the missing CMU block

8. For landscape at the house, I'd  remove that tree near the window, create a 3 feet bed, Mulch it and plant some low maintenance perennials in the back row, this will also help to cover up the base of the house. In the front I will plant some seasonal.

9. Do the same thing to the tree on the right side of the house, give it a border, mulch and trim any dry and dead branches off the tree.

10. If you have a Mail box area, id do the same thing around it too. If you dont have a mail box bring in a new one paint it and plant a mailbox plant.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Ince
  • Leander, TX
Votes |
  • Leander, TX
Replied Mar 9 2016, 08:31

Wow, thanks for all the input.  Here is a recap of what I think we could do. 

@Mike Hanneman : Paint and landscaping.  Great idea

@Michael Lovell :  I'm having a hard time picturing the pergola.  Do you have any pictures of what your talking about? 

@Manuel Gonzalez :  That's a good idea to address the uniformity of the windows (tin foil).  Also the window unit.

@Valerie Hiscoe : Agreed on the two colors of pain.  @jimadrian, if you have any ideas please post them here.  Beefing up the entrance is a good idea.  The bricks on the walkway is a good idea. Good ideas on the plants.  

@Jerry Ciesielski : Like the exterior faux window casings.  I might do that, grey building with the white craftsmen.  Do you think cedar columns would work with wraping. 

@Yamini M. :  Good idea on the door.  Good idea on shutters.  Good idea on blocks and mulching. 

Thanks everyone for you feedback.  I'll keep you posted on the transformation.  

User Stats

Votes
Peter Bowring
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Norwood, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Norwood, MA
Replied Mar 9 2016, 08:42

Probably not the cheapest solution and I don't know the tenant base but you could put a 4-5' deep porch across the front with an awning/roof, maybe a metal roof since its Texas I assume. Then paint and do a little low maintenance landscaping/mulch. Perhaps the units on the left and right on first floor can have use of those porches, a couple plants and a couple rocking chairs and it might be a nice place to have a drink after work, and that could increase the rent for those units as well that have rights to use the porches.

User Stats

Votes
Carl Dean
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 9 2016, 11:06

@Thomas Ince It really depends on your budget and ultimate goal. Also what do the other units in the area look like? You don't want to go overboard and have little benefit. 

Here is what I would consider are my 2 options depending on the questions above. 

Cheapest way: Simply power wash then seal any access points where water could intrude. Then I would paint the lower half with an off white and stain the cedar shake with a red cedar like color, add some shutters on the small windows, trim out the front door, replace the metal legs of the awning with 4x4 cedar (stained to match the upper cedar slats) and box out the bottom 18" high with a good trim job. Then I would do a nice retaining wall with some good landscaping strategically covering the AC units from being visible from the street. 

More expensive route: (doesn't look like it would be a fit for the area) New windows, new awning with a pie top (flat on either side but triangle at front when looking straight at it), replace the cedar with a composite version, paint the siding if salvageable, and do a stone veneer up to the bottom of the windows and at the bottom of both 4x4 pillars (boxed out to 12x12"). Then the same landscape idea. 

Looks like option 1 is the better fit here. Adding central air would be great to get rid of the units but not sure if that an option. Major eye sores are color, AC units, and the metal awning supports. Best advise... Get a handy man that is honest and hard working of do it yourself, don't hire a big company.  

Hope that helps, I have done quite a few in my day. 

User Stats

Votes
Manuel Gonzalez
  • Lake Jackson, TX
Votes |
  • Lake Jackson, TX
Replied Mar 9 2016, 11:34

Is this a buy and hold or a flip

User Stats

Votes
Sherry Potwora
  • Investor
  • Clackamas, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clackamas, OR
Replied Mar 9 2016, 19:00

@Carl Dean That hardly looks like the same place!  I need to up my game!  LOL

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Greg Behan
  • Contractor
  • Skippack, PA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Skippack, PA
Replied Mar 10 2016, 05:30

Trim and paint would go a long way... Maybe light landscaping..  You could get much more involved it just depends on budget.

User Stats

Votes
Carl Dean
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 10 2016, 07:04

@Sherry Potwora Thanks for the compliment Sherry. Not all of them are that extreme but curb appeal is really important. It doesn't matter how nice the kitchen and bath are if they just keep driving by without stopping. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 10 2016, 07:28

Curb appeal is important if you are selling. If this is a property you are holding what you do is dependant on whether it contributes to higher rents. You can upgrade to increase profits or simply to please yourself. Painting is simple, relatively cheap and necessary in regards to routine maintenance. Any further expenditures may only be to please yourself depending on the area the building is located in. If you are competing for tenants paint and landscaping should be at the top of your list for improvements. Keep in mind landscaping requires ongoing attention and likley the reason there appeares to be none in the neighbourhood. Structural additions/changes are not necessary and not cost effective. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Mar 11 2016, 06:08

Sounds like you are thinking of going with shutters. One of the suggestions was to build shutters - I think for a rental you would be served well enough by just buying some of the shutters you find at the big box stores; they are vinyl, and come in a selection of sizes and colors. You then just have to install them, rather than fabricate them first then install. 

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Ince
  • Leander, TX
Votes |
  • Leander, TX
Replied Mar 21 2016, 08:28

@Carl Dean, good idea