San Antonio Curb Appeal Suggestions

6 Replies

Recently closed on this duplex in Denver Heights. We'd like to improve curb appeal for under $1,500. I'd like to hear all suggestions, though. We may take them into consideration for the future. 

**Also, If anybody has the info of a great electrician in SA please PM me

Not gunna do a ton with $1,500, but first thoughts are:

- are you removing window units as part of rehab?  (I.e. Putting in central air?)

- remove bars on windows if allowable. 

- shrubs to hide the meters and around the front.  Something drought tolerant assuming tenants won't be watering anything, by the looks of it. 

- is the front yard used for parking?  Maybe tidy that up if so and get rid of all the grass, maybe crushed limestone or something instead of hoping grass will grow. 

- paint everything and get some color on the front doors.  Maybe a two color scheme to separate siding vs trim. 

- maybe address the roof?

@Ross K. Thank you for your suggestions! Yes, we are going to fix up the roof for sure. Much of our budget won't go into aesthetics but I think curb appeal is important. May increase it but was just interested to see what people suggested for a low beget.  

--keeping window units for now. 

--yes, the front is used for parking. We should definitely make that look nicer. 

I think for the area, I'd do a couple shrubs up front and one load of fresh gravel or crushed limestone (probably gravel) just to make the parking area look more consistent.  It's not a permanent fix.  I've not used asphalt re-grind before but have heard of a method of getting recycled asphalt spread as a cheaper alternative to paving.  May be worth investigating.  Maybe even a couple parking curbs to indicate where you expect people to park??  I wouldn't put down anything that requires watering by tenants. 

Funny side note: some of the locals refer to Iowa street as "Ten W. A." because it resembles the number 10 and W.A.  10WA   I just remembered that when googling Denver Heights.  Also, I'd want the bars in the windows if I lived there (unlockable from the inside); although I hear it is being revitalized which I think is great.  I haven't worked in that area in several years but I met some great people over there that could use a nice home.  Good luck!

@Will Pritchett Thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. Yes, a lot of changes are happening in the area. I still may want to leave the bars on for now. That's funny, I didn't know about 10WA! Also, if you know any potential tenants send them my way, ha! 

@Kristina Modares the biggest bang for the buck is paint. I would use three paint colors, base paint one color, windows, trim, and porch one color and the doors another. Makes it really pop. After that I like the parking suggestions by @Will Pritchett . That's probably more than your $1,500 but those would go a long way.

@Bill S. Yes, I like that idea with the paint. Thank you! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.