• Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Drywood termite evidence: Tent or not?

Derek Daun
  • Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Oct 25 2016, 21:53

I just closed on a property, and am deciding whether or not to tent for termites.

Original inspections had turned up minor evidence of past drywood termites in two spots, but no live termites were seen. We got a $3300 seller credit for pest repairs (Could have been a $5k credit, but lender only allowed 2%). My original plan was to do a more thorough inspection during rehab, spot treat, but not tent unless there were signs of active infestation.

The first potential infestation location was on an outside wall with some dry rotted T11 siding, so I was going rip it off, inspect, and replace. The second location was "cosmetic damage" to a crawlspace joist. I was wasn't too worried but that location, but when we took possession tonight, and pulled back the carpet (Yay, Christmas in October, Oak hardwood throughout the entire house!!!), we found evidence of past termites inside the house. One plank of oak flooring had been eaten out, as well as part of the carpet tac. This was all in one location, though, directly above the where the evidence was in the crawlspace. 

Now, the plan is to rip out the damaged area, and reassess. I'm still leaning towards not tenting if I don't see any actual termites, but I'm interested in hearing how many people think I should just bite the bullet and get it fumed. Fume quote was only $1600, so I'll still be ahead regardless.

The property is a 1960s house in Sacramento, so I'd actually be more surprised if there wasn't evidence of termites sometime in the past. We plan on holding 2-5 years minimum.

Loading replies...