Votes
Sarah D.
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
What you find behind the old kitchen...

Sarah D.
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Oct 26 2016, 20:12

I'm in the middle of remodeling a 4plex.  The first unit is almost done and included a kitchen remodel which was uneventful and an excellent learning experience.  The second kitchen was designed and demo has been completed.  During demo we found a waste clean out pipe sticking out ~4" from the wall and starting right where the dishwasher was supposed to go (bottom left).  Can you weigh in on our two options (or suggest a third?):

1. Move kitchen sink plumbing and locate kitchen sink over waste pipe.  Put dishwasher to the right of the kitchen sink.  Move garbage disposal plug and switch to the new sink location

2. Move te waste pipe back a few inches to accomodate the dishwasher.

I think option 1 will be much easier and less expensive since it only involves moving pipes 1-2 ft.  There's a call out to our plumber to give us an estimate, but our electrician is starting work tomorrow so I'd like to be able to tell him what to do in terms of dishwasher outlet and whether to move the disposal outlet.  Thanks for your advice!

We also found a ton of termite damage in the kickboards; so glad we're set for tenting in a couple of weeks!

Loading replies...