Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Votes |
Floors- How Much Trouble Am I Asking For?

Patrick M.
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Posted Mar 18 2017, 17:16
So I am trying to get my first property ready to rent. Plumbing is done, electrical done, painting close to done. The ground floor of the townhouse is a concrete slab half covered with parquet and glue, and half covered with damaged carpet. I'm going to rip it all up and do luxury vinyl planks. The parquet is half gone already. Here's my issue: the glue is a bear to get off, even with handheld floor scraping tools. I've tried boiling hot water and it helps, but not much. I also have suddenly hit the busiest stretch at my day job in half a decade, and I am over budget on the unfit already. I feel a lot of pressure to just finish up quick because I think I'm losing $40/day in rent. I think these are my choices: A. Do a basic scraping of the glue to flatten it as much as possible/smooth it out, lay the planks, and hope for the best. B. Same as A but put down underlayment beneath the planks for more smoothing. C. Rent one of those motorized floor tools that does this for $200/day from HD, learn to use it on the fly, hope for the best, then repair the floor with mortar, which I've also never done, and hope for the best. D. Pay someone to do C. If I do A or B, am I asking for trouble? Anyone know how much D might cost? What would you do?

Loading replies...