Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Dave Versch
  • Murray Hill, NJ
Votes |
How and when to get utilities turned back on (NJ REO flip)

Dave Versch
  • Murray Hill, NJ
Posted Mar 22 2017, 04:12

Hi,

I have several properties I'm considering making offers on for my first flip. I've been very thorough with my numbers, gotten estimates from qualified contractors, and I'm confident that I'll be able to make a reasonable profit IF any of my offers are accepted. I'm in NJ, and mostly I'm dealing with REO's which have been vacant with utilities turned off for various lengths of time. My biggest question at this point has to do with how and when to get gas, water, and electricity turned on. I assume everything needs to be turned on prior to inspection, but how do i know that the house isn't going to explode when the gas comes on, or become flooded when the water comes on, or burn to the ground once the electricity comes on?

Do the various utilities send people out when they turn things on to make sure nothing goes wrong?  Does the property inspector arrange for this with the utility companies?  I'm at a loss as to how to proceed in this regard, and any help from experienced flippers in NJ would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Loading replies...