Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Scott Young
  • Greenwood, IN
Votes |
Credit Card to Fund Renovations...lots of questions!

Scott Young
  • Greenwood, IN
Posted Jul 24 2017, 21:40

I’ve been doing a lot of research into financing methods as I’m about to finally start working towards my first deal. Purchase financing aside, I’ve seen a lot of differing information on using credit cards (personal and/or business) and/or business accounts to cover actual renovation costs. So, a few questions:

• Can I use my personal credit card(s) or should I get a business credit card under my LLC? If I can use either, what are the pros and cons of using each?
  • Is it worth it to get a Lowes or Home Depot (for example) Business Account? Is it difficult to qualify? My understanding is I could pay the business account off monthly using the credit card, then pay the credit card when due essentially freeing up my cash for two months. I’m not trying to float checks here, but am just looking for the smartest way to operate.
  • If I get a business credit card, how does it affect my credit? Is it difficult to qualify for one?

Most of the info I’m finding seems to be people using cash advances on their personal cards. Is there a reason to do that vs just charging on the card?

I feel like I’m missing something simple here that would connect all the dots for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scott

User Stats

Votes
Dana Whicker
  • Investor
  • Fernandina Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fernandina Beach, FL
Replied Jul 31 2017, 19:18

I don't have enough information about your situation to give the best answer for your situation. However credit cards can be cheaper and more flexible than other financing sources and are a perfectly good option to consider.