Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Jack Henry
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
So what all really goes into rehabbing a water damaged house???

Jack Henry
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Austin, TX
Posted Sep 1 2017, 11:18

Hi All - So I have two rental houses in Houston. My property manager called yesterday and told me that two of my houses were under water. One had about 18" of water in it and the other had 48" in it. My insurance agent says TWIA isn't going to cover it and I don't have flood insurance. While I fight that fight, I want to know from people who have done it: what all goes into renovating a flood damaged house? My plan is to get a crew I have working on a flip in San Antonio to go down there when we can get it and just cut out all the wet sheetrock, pull the carpet/pad and any other flooring that isn't tile. I figure I will need to get new outside A/C units, but that can wait. I am assuming I'll need new appliances and maybe new cabinetry? Maybe new doors? What about things you can't see, like electrical, plumbing, or anything? I want to get the houses dry ASAP and then what to keep them from getting moldy? Spray bleach water everywhere once we rip out the wet stuff? What am I missing?

BTW they are both brick veneer on slabs if it matters. Thanks all for your advice!!!

Loading replies...