How do you run YOUR numbers?

14 Replies

What is the formula you use to run your numbers on a flip? 

I was recently listening to a BP podcast and Brandon talked about how every property has a number. How do you calculate your number? 

That link has an equation:

Max Purchase Price (MPP) = Property Sales Price (PSP) – Fixed Costs (FC) – Desired Profit (P) – Rehab Costs (RC)

That is,

Property Sales Price (PSP) = Max Purchase Price (MPP) + Fixed Costs (FC) + Desired Profit (P) + Rehab Costs (RC)

While I understand all these numbers can vary considerably given the property, is there a rough rule of thumb for the splits? For example, rehab costs roughly 23% of total (see following example numbers)?

Property Sales Price (PSP) = $300k

Max Purchase Price (MPP) = $210k (70%)

Fixed Costs = $14k (4.6%)

Desired Profit = $7k (2.3%)

Rehab Costs = $69k (23%)

@Calvin Strain PP = ARV - 10% ARV - Repair - Profit

Steven D Nicholson No, repairs have no percent on anything.

What is your 10%ARV? Is that costs associated with a sale?

Thanks!

My error. I see the formula now:

ARV $XX
Less Profit (20% ARV) $XX
Less Close (10%ARV) $XX
Less Repair $XX

=MAO $XX.

Then can always add in 'purchase costs' (eg cost of money etc) for greater accuracy, and adjust the percentages to fit. 

Thanks!

@Calvin Strain It is an amount of money I want to make. If I want 100k on a 100k exposure, that’s the number. If I want 200k on a 150k exposure if I partner with someone, then i plug in 200k.

Steven D Nicholson 10% ARV covers all incidentals, agent fee, holding fee, other closing costs, staging fee, etc etc etc. In smaller markets, you can increase them, but in LA, 1% of 1M is 10k.

@Manolo D. for sure. Is there a certain % you shoot for in your profits or do you just randomly choose a number?

@Calvin Strain Around 10k/mo for solo so around 60-90k. if I expose money, then the same amount, whichever is higher vs 10k.

I was recently in Oakland for a conference. A presenter was describing the flips they were doing in CA. The margin was 13%. I asked what level of risk were they willing to take to accomplish their goals. For me, 13% is too small. That is one market correction, price reduction, or sitting on the property for an extra 2 months. The formula we have used is (Completed ARV - repairs) * .70 = Max Purchase Price. Does it exclude a lot of purchases - yes. More importantly, does it keep us safe - yes. We have survived two major recessions by not over buying.

Originally posted by @Manolo D. :

Calvin Strain PP = ARV - 10% ARV - Repair - Profit

Steven D Nicholson No, repairs have no percent on anything.

Note that the 10% number will be different for each investor.  This the "fixed costs" of the project -- purchase costs, holding costs, selling costs.  If you're paying cash, 10% is about right.  If you're getting a hard money loan, that can take this number to 20% or more (depending on how long the project lasts).  Also, taxes and transfer taxes can have a big impact on this number, especially for big projects with long hold times.

Yup. @J Scott is correct. Normally thats assuming sold at 6 months after purchase, and agent fees are at 3-4%.

Originally posted by @Calvin Strain :

What is the formula you use to run your numbers on a flip? 

I was recently listening to a BP podcast and Brandon talked about how every property has a number. How do you calculate your number? 

I don’t know what all the different abbreviations means so I may be repeating what others am said above

For me personally I am willing to invest 55k to make 45k bottom line profit

I think the 2 I am working on now will be more like paid 30k  fixup 25k.  Will probably sell for 140k no agent so maybe 6k in closing costs.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here