Roofing: To replace or not to replace?

7 Replies

Hello everyone,

I have a 1959 SFH with a tar and gravel roof with a very small incline. Is it true that even if it is inspected and is cleared, it is probable that I will have difficulty at time of sale with the buyer's insurance if it is not a newer roof?

Originally posted by @Sean Carroll :

@Jazmine S. how old is the roof? Same as the house?

I believe so, if they replaced it I don't believe there was a permit because I didn't find anything online. The property appraiser does state the roof as being tar and gravel which is uncommon so I do believe it is the original roof.

Replace the roof now. It's the first thing any buyer is going to expect. Better to do it before you get to concession negotiations.

don’t replace re cover with rubber roof. Save time save headache and great thing of all save money. 

@Jazmine S. Well one of the things I like to ask myself is would I put my mother in this house when I am done with? That always answers my question. So if this is the original roof and it does not look like the roofs on your comps then I would replace it. hopefully, you had it in your budget when you bought. Whenever I do my analysis I always account for replacing the roof so if I end up not needing to then it just adds to my bottom line.

Hi @Jazmine S.

Hire a roofer visit your home to give you 2 things. 1st would be life expectancy and the 2nd would be a quote to get it replaced. 

What matters is the life expectancy. In order for the roof to pass a 4 point inspection it needs to have at least 3 years of life left. Now that is a matter of opinion, but you have the opinion of a licensed roofer in your back pocket, which you can show the Buyer and have that be the reason why you won't budge on any concessions. 

If the roofer tells you that it needs replacing, replace it. Once you do, you can now market the property with a new roof, and get even more interest. 

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Tom Parris :

Hi @Jazmine S.

Hire a roofer visit your home to give you 2 things. 1st would be life expectancy and the 2nd would be a quote to get it replaced. 

What matters is the life expectancy. In order for the roof to pass a 4 point inspection it needs to have at least 3 years of life left. Now that is a matter of opinion, but you have the opinion of a licensed roofer in your back pocket, which you can show the Buyer and have that be the reason why you won't budge on any concessions. 

If the roofer tells you that it needs replacing, replace it. Once you do, you can now market the property with a new roof, and get even more interest. 

Good luck!

Very helpful Tom, thank you!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here