What work is involved after listing a house?

7 Replies

If I choose to list it myself, what's next? Do I just wait for phone calls from buyers agents?

Can you suggest a flat fee service to use? Isn't it $500?

I use Snapflatfee.com.  it only costs 99.00 for one year.  I get all the calls myself, put a lockbox on the property for buyers agents and cam also sell it myself which I have done when I show the property.  Love the savings and a member of BP is Jorge Sea and he can answers all your questions or check out their website.  

Jorge Zea is his name if you want to reach out to him.   Sorry about the spelling above.  

I have listed and sold all of mine. I have a lockbox, list it and wait on calls/emails/text. When I get an interested buyer (95% of the time it is an agent with a buyer) I vet the agent to make sure they are legit before giving out a lockbox code. After they see the house sometimes I stop in and make sure it's locked up, and my usual lights are left on. I also always ask for feedback.

When I have an unrepresented buyer I meet them at the house, allow them to go in and view it and then lock things back up. I have only done this 3 maybe 4 times in total, most serious buyers have an agent.

After it sells, update the MLS service you used and move on!

Just stick a homemade sign in the yard, make sure the number looks good when offered and cash a check!

Make sure it is appealing. Remove any clutter, cut the lawn, etc. You can use a discount listing service and put it on CL as well. Make sure and price it right. Don't give it away, and don't overprice it believing it is gold. In a hot market, a nice property will sell reasonably fast. 

Totally disagree. The right agent (and 99% are not the right agent) makes a big difference. 92% of sales use an agent. Make sure you are at least paying the participating agent (the buyer's agent) 2.5%. Most will not tell their buyers about the property without at least that much and they will take their buyers elsewhere. As we grew, we brought the function in-house and created a sales arm. Make sure it's someone that understands construction and the investment world. We found the attempt to save 2%-2.5% cost us a lot more. Good Luck!

@Doug Smith I agree, you have to offer a minimum of the average buyers agent share when you list. I did this and none of the agents had any issues with it. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.