• Investor
  • Wilkes Barre, PA
Votes |
Someone just changed the locks on my Flip

Craig Smith
  • Investor
  • Wilkes Barre, PA
Posted Mar 22 2018, 20:42

Short and the sweet story, My contractor goes to my flip today to find the locks changed and lockbox on the back door. I own it free and clear. Taxes are paid. I even checked the county database I still own it! HEHE....

Been out of this house for a year and I just finished renovating it. I was planning on heading over to it tomorrow for a final punch list before listing it for sale. I had my contractor stop by today to drop off some stuff from another property further away. He gets there and sees a lock box on the door and tire tracks in the snow. He was last there 2 weeks ago. He goes to use the garage door opener and the door starts to open and hangs up a few inches off the ground. Not having the keys and he cant quite get in under the door he starts looking around the house, following the footprints in the snow. He sees someone went up the back deck, tried looking in windows by using the sump drain (which they cracked in 2 places) finds a note on the front door in an envelope. Has some contractors card in it and a note to  call him. So my guy drills his way in through a set of locks that someone switched. My locks are gone. Finds the door jam is busted. Realizes that the garage doors are padlocked from the inside, so he cuts them, but the garage door (which was brand new) isn't working. Doesn't notice anything missing that he can tell, but I have a bunch of personal stuff and my staging and tools and junk there so he doesn't know. 

I plan on calling the cops tomorrow when I get there, and giving them this guys card. From what i can tell I'm out, a door jam, door locks, some pipe for the drain, possibly a garage door opener or track from my guy trying to get in. Plus a wasted day for my contractor. 

I think the guy was supposed to secure the mobile home behind me and goofed. Got to say I'm a bit freaked. 

Any advice? 

Loading replies...