Votes
Landon Schlabach
  • Columbus, NC
Votes |
Home Warrenty for a Flip

Landon Schlabach
  • Columbus, NC
Posted Mar 30 2018, 06:47

Should I buy a Home Warrenty for my flip or not? 

I am closing on a property within the next month should be a fairly expensive remodel and become little horse farm in the 400k range. 

The property is a foreclosure but not in terrible shape as it was built in 2004. Of course the electric and water wasn’t turned on so I don’t know how the wells are, septic, and the hvac unit. Would it be worthwhile to purchase a home Warrenty just to cover myself in case there are any issues with any of the big ticket items? Or is it a waste of $400-$600? 

Maybe my thinking is wrong but I figured for that price it could save me thousands if I need to replace the hvac unit etc. 

Property is in NC. 

Look forward to hearing your responses. 

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Brian Reiner
  • Contractor
  • Oceanside, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Oceanside, CA
Replied Mar 30 2018, 15:38

Landon Schlabach It’s a bit of a gamble. The place have old appliances or systems on the brink? Maybe a good idea. Can’t speak to every area and perhaps even the quality of your particular warranty details. We got a place two years ago, got the warranty. Heater goes out few months in, got the warranty involved and there’s a deposit to be paid. Also they pick the installer and unit. They said they could get a name brand unit for $100 wholesale. Floored. Cash out option got us $250 and we picked the unit and company. Can’t even imagine what quality unit and installer we would have received for their price. Just our experience at least. Might be worth reading the warranty fine print.

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Mar 30 2018, 15:43

You should know the condition of the major ticket items via your inspection during Schow at purchase. Buying a home warranty while you perform a rehab is most likely a waste of money. Your buyer on the end will likely want/ask for a home warranty for 1 year so that is the time to buy it (when your done and have a buyer under contract).

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Landon Schlabach
  • Columbus, NC
Votes |
  • Columbus, NC
Replied Mar 31 2018, 04:30

Very good thank you all for your advice. I think I am going to pass. Who knows what kind of systems the Warrenty company would replace with if we have any issues. I would rather pay a little bit more and have it done right. 

Thank you.