• BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
What to do with a Mansard Roof?

Mindy Jensen
  • Longmont, CO
Posted Jun 13 2018, 13:14

I found a really ugly house today. Going for half the price per square foot of the rest of the houses in the area. Huge potential, but one of the limiting factors is the Mansard Roof.

Have you ever purchased a house and changed this roof? What did you do? Would love "after" pics.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Jul 10 2018, 07:48

Yeah, this one definitely is more McDonald's than Louvre.

User Stats

Votes
Lynel Johnson
  • Becker, MN
Votes |
  • Becker, MN
Replied Aug 17 2018, 08:37

We bought a building like this on Wednesday. Sounds like the roof part is holding up but we still want to update the shingles that are visible.  We want it to look better and we'd like the first change the tenants see to be a positive one. 

We are thinking of replacing the shingles with steel or metal (this is not my area of expertise lol). 

If you have any After pics to show to that end, I would appreciate seeing those. Thanks!

I'll reply to this when the job is complete, too.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Replied Dec 18 2019, 14:44

Has anyone here toyed with tearing off the shingles, doing lap siding or board and batten siding in its place, and putting a pitched roof on the building?  If so, what were the challenges and can you share some pics of the end result?

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied Dec 19 2019, 17:03
Originally posted by @Will Fraser:

Has anyone here toyed with tearing off the shingles, doing lap siding or board and batten siding in its place, and putting a pitched roof on the building?  If so, what were the challenges and can you share some pics of the end result?

There are many mansard roofs here in the east which are covered in copper (a little expensive these days), or other metals (some shaped to look like shingles).  Additionally, not all mansard roofs are "flat" on-top, traditionally many/most mansard buildings have a low-pitch hip top.

If your building is a true mansard roof (and not the modern "hat" sitting on the top of a building), it would be big job to rid yourself of the mansard.