Heating Method of Room Addition

2 Replies

HELP! I just purchased a home at a tax auction. My goal is to turn the addition into a master bedroom/bath but the addition basically sits on top of the garage. It currently has baseboard electric heat, but that won't be sufficient during the Ohio winter months.  I've heard I wouldn't have any other options since it sits on top of the garage.  Has anyone run into this issue?

Why is electric baseboard insufficient? If properly insulated - including underneath in the garage - it shouldn't take much to heat that space.

You can also consider a split AC/heater. Since it's on top of a garage, there's a very good chance it will get hot in the summer and you'll want the ability to cool it.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Ductless-Mini-Splits/N-5yc1vZc4m1

Thank you @Nathan G. ! I haven’t been able to test it out yet, but the previous occupants had a portable fireplace in there. Also it has a ton of windows (pretty large space) and I’m unsure about insulation. I’m going to have the house inspected before I start the rehab so I’ll have a better idea of what needs to happen. Just wanted to see if there are other heating options, if needed. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here