• Contractor
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
Resurfacing Bathtubs

Randy F.
  • Contractor
  • Anchorage, AK
Posted Feb 19 2013, 10:55

Just curious how many have opted to resurface old tubs rather than replacing them. If you have, were you pleased with the results? Did they hold up in rentals?

I refinished a few tubs in the eighties will good result, but have no idea how long they held up. A friend had purchased a specialty franchise. Back then, the products available required a mechanical bond. It was quite labor intensive to scuff the surface adequately to create enough "teeth" to ensure a good bond. From what I understand, todays products provide a chemical bond so prep is limited to a thorough cleaning. I wouldnt recommend the DIY kits as I'd want the warranty offered by the specialty guys.

Ive run into numerous scenerios where the tile surround was done fairly recently and in excellent shape, and the fixture had been replaced at that time as well, so there was no ready excuse to rip out tub and replace. In these instances I gave the homeowner and investor the options and each one chose replacement.

The last quote I received for resurfacing a tub was $375 and they are in and out in hours. Under certain circumstances, it may be a good option and be a time and money saver.

Whatchyathinkaboudit?

Loading replies...